Alliance of Mist Stein of Moggok quest

  • From: "Chirrichela Lomarcan" <yssario@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <eq.aom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:06:20 -0600

I was sending this to Holynation, but then realised it may do others some good
too.  So here it is.

Exotic Drinks

            Starts in: Oggok
            Who: Clurg
            Rating: Good (4.37)
            Estimated Time: 3 Hours
            Minimum Level: 8
            Best Class: Ench
            Factions Raised:
            a.. Clurg

            Factions Lowered:
            a.. Kazon StormHammer

            Quest Items:
            a.. Erud's Tonic
            a.. Honey Jum
            a.. Kiola Nut
            a.. Koalindl Fish

            Additional Zones:
            a.. Erudin
            a.. Freeport West
            a.. Misty Thicket
            a.. Qeynos North
            a.. Rivervale

            Related Creatures:
            a.. A Koalindl
            a.. Gregor Nasin

            Related Quests:
            a.. Erud's Tonic
            a.. Honey Jum
            a.. The Regurgitonic

      Note. You really need to be an enchanter to do this quest. It is not
impossible for other classes to do it, but it is impractical.

      Clurg, the Ogre bartender in Ogguk, has lost his bartender's compendium
and wants it back badly. It is currently held by Bartender Gregor, in the
Seafarer's Roost in East Freeport. Fortunately, Gregor has a lust for exotic
drinks, and lacks only the ingredients to make his dream concoctions. He will
give you the compendium for those ingredients. He wants you to get him the
following items:

      (1) a Kiola Nut, which can be purchased on the island of Erollisi for
about 2 gp,

      (2) Erud's Tonic [now a no drop lore item] (see Erudin quests, basically
a quick purchase and exchange),

      (3) Honey Jum from Rivervale (See Rivervale Quests - the price is now 3
platinum) [note: You need an indifferent faction in Rivervale for this one or
you need to trust a halfling to get it for you. If you can't find a trustworthy
halfling, (I had the misfortune of initially getting ripped off by a
particularly nasty halfling named Mappas who believed he could extort 5 pp for
the honey jum after I gave him the items and a promise of 5 gp to get it [back
when it only cost 5 gp for the item]) you can easily create one of your own and
do the exchange since a level 1 can easily do this part of the quest], and

      (4) a Koalindl Fish from the lake in the Temple of Life in Qeynos [now a
no drop lore item]. There is one sure way to do this yourself without losing
faction. Do the regurgatonic quest in Ak'Anon and give the tonic to frostbite
the dog in WK and he will cough up the fish. You can also kill the mutt, but
that will not make you popular in Halas, nor will it make you popular with the
Barbarian who hangs around Gregor's bar. Other ways will cause you to take a
severe faction hit with several good factions and with Rodcet Nife himself.
Killing the fish will drop you several levels in faction, and you will get
attacked and killed when you leave the water unless you gate in time. (There is
also a paladin who will jump in and kill you in the water if he is nearby). The
fish do not drop a corpse every time, so you may have to kill several fish,
potentially making you kos with many clerics afterwards. Also, they are a slow
spawn and are currently being camped quite a bit. You can avoid the faction hit
by having a friend creat a mule to kill the fish and then having the enchanter
who will complete the quests loot it and gets the item, but this is time
consuming.

      Although the resulting drink sounds pretty foul to me, should you manage
to gather all of these ingredients he promises to give you his bartender's
compendium. The enchanter must give Gregor the ingredients. I have been told
that some people have had the quest fail by giving him all of the items at once
(it will say he only got one) and others have had no trouble. I would suggest
to be safe that you give them to him one at a time. Gregor will then give him 3
to 4 pp and the bartender's compendium, which is a no drop item.

      This has to be taken to Ogguk and given to Clurg the bartender there. Be
aware that even under an illusion some ogres might attack you, so it might help
to go invisible. Before giving it to Clurg, the enchanter needs to cast
illusion ogre and benevolence. Or as an alternative, cast illusion dark elf and
alliance (this lets it be done by a lower level enchanter, but does not seem to
work every time). If his or her faction is not good enough, it won't work (I
have had reports that indifferent has worked for some people and not worked for
others, but that is probably the minimum he should con). Clurg will then give
you the stein.

      I would say, assuming you can get sow when needed, you can do this quest
in just about 3 hours (less if you have teleports).

      For Dark Elves, check out The Dark Elf's Guide to Obtaining the Stein of
Mogguk

      Reward(s):
      a.. Stein of Moggok