[Enzo] Day 52 report - I think I need a drink!

  • From: "Kelly Groves" <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:22:53 -0700

Day 52

Doctor: Anna Marie Salva

Nurses: Jeremy (night), Sherry (day)

RT: Charles/Mike (night), Shilo/Yvonne (day)

Gestational age: 36 2/7 weeks

Weight: 2366 g or 5 lbs. 3.5 oz.

Length: 45 cm (6/1/14)

FiO2: 21% (room air)

Flow: 1.5 LPM on NC

Feeding: 47 ml Q 3 hr. (24 cal breast milk) through NG tube. PO multivitamin
with iron (0.25 mg q 12 hr). Bottle every feeding, gavage QS (amount nippled:
47 ml @ 2300, 47 ml @ 0500, 47 ml @ 1100, 47 ml @ 1400, 47 ml @ 1700).

New orders: offer nipple each feed. Try nippling all. Gavage to QS PRN.

Other issues: ongoing A/B/D, mostly self-resolved. Last apnea with stim 6/1
early morning. No episodes in over 36 hours.

Enzo had a great day today!

Overnight, Enzo had his buddy Jeremy looking after him. First, he got a bath,
so he was squeaky clean (well, at least his next dirty diaper). Then, he got
his first nipppling. It went swimmingly, as usual (now). Enzo did really well
with the bottle, so that we felt totally comfortable talking with Lucy the OT
about increasing the number of feedings he’s taking from the bottle. Jeremy
also worked with Charles to wean Enzo down to an FiO2 of 21%. Amazingly, this
time, it stuck!

Jeremy also did a HemoCue for Enzo’s red blood count and told Sherry it was
within normal, but he did not chart the results.

Enzo finally had Sherry as his nurse during the day today. It seems like
Sherry’s always been working with the baby next door, so it’s great to finally
have her in our corner. When we came in at 7:35, she had already changed and
assessed him, and it was well more like the Navy’s version of 8 a.m. that Enzo
got his (tube) feeding started. Boy, was he happy about that!

Lucy came by at 11 a.m. to work with Enzo on his nippling. He really did a
great job!

                http://bit.ly/drinking_enzo

At Sherry's urging, Lucy convinced an apprehensive Dr. Salva to give the order
for nurses to try nippling all feeds with the understanding that if he was too
tired, they would gavage, rather than push him. Well, so far, that looks like a
very successful strategy. Enzo took his 2 p.m. feeding completely in stride and
gobbled down his 5 p.m. bottle in 25 minutes. Even better, he never needed an
increase in his “O”s! Moreover, this was with him being exceptionally fussy
every time we tried to put him down. Sherry says that he’s become allergic to
his crib. (She even upped his alarm parameters to a heart rate of 240 bpm. So
far, he hasn’t accepted the challenge, but he’s gotten into the 220’s for
sure!) Growth spurt, maybe?

Gogo and G-Dat arrived shortly before lunch and got in some quality cuddle time
with their grandson. He was very comforted by their presence. After lunch, he
napped with his daddy until we had to leave for dinner. Even though it was
about 4 p.m. (around an hour before his next meal), he decided that it was a
good time to wake up and look around. Still, we managed to leave without a
meltdown. (There hasn’t been one yet!)

We are incredibly heartened by Enzo’s progress today. Not only being stable on
room air, but handling four out of five feedings in a row from a bottle with
aplomb! That’s leaps and bounds ahead of where we were a couple of days ago.
It’s also been since early morning yesterday that he had a real apnea spell
(that needed stim). Who is this baby?! It now appears that we may actually be
in the home stretch!

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image