[Enzo] Day 21 report

  • From: Kelly Groves <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 20:20:54 -0700

Day 21
Doctor: Bob P.
Nurses: Amber (night), Penny (day)
RT: Amy (with Pauline)
Gestational age: 31 6/7 weeks
Weight: 1355 g
Length: not measured
FiO2: 30%
Flow: 2 LPM on HFNC
Feeding: 27 ml Q 3 hr. (24 cal breast milk with liquid protein added.) through
NG tube. PO multivitamin and caffeine.
Other issues: left lung ongoing PIE
Other notes: resting mostly on left side or prone, little to no residuals,
elimination good, including a giant poop that Phillip got to take care of.

Another quiet, easy-going day in the Intermediate row.

Amber had a much better night with
Enzo. He was stable resting at less than 30%, and she only needed to raise him
up to maybe 33% FiO2 while he was eating.

Enzo got a little wash down overnight as well and is looking super squeaky
clean. A big milestone was reached today: he now weighs three pounds! This
means that we increased his meal portions so that he can keep putting on the
grams.

Similar patterns of holding during feedings today. He started out nippling at
his 8 am feeding. He has good instincts, but is clearly having a hard time
coordinating all the individual parts of the process. He made many, many solids
attempts with varying degrees of success, but got pooped after a while. So, Mom
napped with him until putting him back for his 11 am assessment. At his 2
o'clock, we tried again and he was  similarly eager until he appeared to become
intellectually exhausted. At that point, Papa took over and got some quality
snuggle time.

Today, Enzo is three weeks old. Tomorrow would have been 32 weeks of gestation,
and that means it'll be time for his eye exam to screen for retinopathy of
prematurity (ROP). We spoke with Dr. Bob about it. He says that Dr. Salva will
be the one to perform the exam, probably next time she's in the unit. There is
little chance of Enzo being affected by ROP, but it's important that he's
diagnosed early enough to be treated in case he is afflicted.

Amber is off tonight, but we're expecting to have Tracy back to take care of
him. They're best buddies going way back! Amy will be back tomorrow to support
him as his RT. I'm sure his nurse will be awesome, too.