[Enzo] Day 17 report

  • From: Kelly Groves <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:42:01 -0700

Day 17
Doctor: Bob Piecuch
Nurses: Ida (night), Lori (day)
Gestational age: 31.2 weeks
Weight: 1287 g
Length: 39 cm
FiO2: 40%
Flow: 2 LPM
Feeding: Day 12, 24.4 ml Q 3 hr. (24 cal breast milk with liquid protein added.)
Other issues: left lung ongoing PIE
Other notes: resting mostly on left side (to splint the left lung and promote
healing of PIE blebs) or prone (to promote digestion), little to no residuals
at feeding times, elimination good.

Enzo had a really good day today. He is finally heavier than his birthweight
and is "tolerating" his increasingly rich and plentiful feedings well.

Phillip got to hold him for about 2.5 hours around his 8 am feeding, and I got
to hold him for about an hour at his 2 pm one. He was mostly relaxed and
napping but did have moments of fussiness. Overall, he held his "sats" well and
he is able to maintain his temperature without a hat. I'm amazed how much motor
control he has. It's no problem for him to lift his head way up and peer around
when he's trying to make his point!

Dr. Bob suggested we could try non-nutritive (a.k.a. recreational) nippling at
any time now, though our RT Melanie says we may want to switch from an OG tube
(oral) to an NG tube (nasal) before doing so, so that it wouldn't get in his
way.

Phillip brought in some monochrome cuttlefish drawings to add to the
NICU-provided visual stim cards on the roof of the isolette. They're super
cute. Enzo hasn't let us know what he thinks of them yet.

All in all, things are moving in the right direction. We just need to be
patient and watch him grow!