[ensu] town hall meeting and poster competition

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:28:38 -0500

1) Town Hall meeting to discuss how to revitalize Toronto
2) CCHREI poster awards/competition

****************************************8

1)

BUILDING TORONTO: THE PART WE PLAY

TOWN HALL MEETING FOCUSES ON REVITALIZING TORONTO

Toronto Mayor David Miller will join leaders in the fields of education,
business and organized labour to discuss ideas and strategies in the campaign
to revitalize Toronto at a public meeting Wednesday, Feb. 25, at 7 p.m. at the
University of Toronto?s Innis College Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave.

Toronto Star publisher John Honderich will serve as moderator for Building
Toronto: The Part We Play. Members of the panel of experts are U of T president
Robert Birgeneau; Elyse Allan, president and CEO of the Toronto Board of Trade;
and John Cartwright, head of the Toronto Labour Council. Panellists will
discuss the relationship each of their constituencies must have with the city
in order to build a stronger Toronto. They will also seek input from the public
on the role citizens can play in this campaign.

The Board of Trade is sponsoring the ?Enough of Not Enough? campaign, a city-
wide effort to urge the federal and provincial governments to reinvest more
urban tax dollars locally.

?I can think of almost no example where a great city is not anchored by a great
university,? says U of T president Robert Birgeneau, who is a member of the
Toronto City Summit Alliance. ?Universities contribute to urban life in many
ways including very directly to the economy. The success of this effort to
revitalize Canada?s largest city is central to our own ambitions as one of the
world?s leading public teaching and research universities.?

Allan says the campaign?s ultimate objective is to secure a bright future for
Torontonians. ?Through our campaign, citizens and businesses across the Toronto
area are sending a strong reminder to our provincial and federal governments
that the time for action for Toronto is now,? she says. ?We need additional,
adequate and predictable investment in this city to ensure its competitiveness
and vibrancy.  This doesn't mean generating new revenues ? let's reinvest in
Toronto a bit more of what we already generate.?

The event is sponsored by U of T?s urban studies department and the Board of
Trade.

CONTACT:

Elaine Smith                     Bonnie Shulman

U of T Public Affairs            Toronto Board of Trade

416-978-5949                     416-862-4565

elaine.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx         bshulman@xxxxxxx

2)
The Canadian Council for Human Resources in the Environment Industry (CCHREI)
is now accepting applications for its Student Ambassador and Student Award for
Environmental Excellence programs. Post-secondary students are invited to
submit their proposals for a poster presentation on research or study related
to one of the following areas:

- Corporate Sustainability

- Energy and Climate Change

- Building Better Cities

Five students from across Canada will be selected to present their poster at
GLOBE 2004, held in Vancouver from March 31 to April 2. Acting as CCHREI's
student ambassadors, these students will each receive an award of $1,000 and a
conference pass. The $1,000 should be used to cover all, or part of, the
student's travel and accommodation expenses.

In addition to the monetary award, student ambassadors will benefit from:

- The opportunity to present a research project to peers and conference
delegates

- Access to all conference speakers' sessions

-  The chance to meet and network with environmental leaders from government
and industry

- The prospect of meeting other students with environmental career interests
and the opportunity to network with potential employers

- The ability to become familiar with CCHREI, an organization that works to
build Canada's environmental workforce.

Please visit www.cchrei.ca/globe/ambassadors.html for the application form and
additional information about the ambassador and award programs. Online
applications, poster proposals, and reference letters must be received by
CCHREI no later than March 3, 2004. Successful candidates will be notified of
their acceptance by March 5, 2004.

If you have any questions or concerns about this program, please do not
hesitate to contact Kitt Chanthaboune at (403) 233-0748 ext. 244 or by emailing
kchant@xxxxxxxxxx In the meantime, please stay-tuned for upcoming information
from CCHREI on the environment-related resources that we offer educators and
students.

Thank-you very much for your time and we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

The Canadian Council for Human Resources in the Environment Industry (CCHREI)

1450, 700 - 4 Av S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2P 3J4

Tel.: (403) 233-0748

Fax.: (403) 269-9544

www.cchrei.ca