[ensu] farming, health & the environment

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:36:34 -0500

Our Food, Our Waste, Our Environment: Making the urban-rural connection
Wednesday January 28, 7:30-9:30 pm
St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts, 27 Front Street East, Toronto
Admission is free

Download printable flyer: http://forum.stlc.com

As Toronto expands, we are becoming further and further removed from
the farms that provide the shrink-wrapped food we buy. What do we really
know about the food we eat and the waste we generate? As urbanites we
need to reconnect with how our food is produced, how our waste is
disposed and what really is a fair price for food.
Increasingly industrialized agri-business export food from the country
to cities - within Canada and globally.

Intensive livestock operations are making an impact on rural air, water
and soil quality. As Torontonians we also export our sewage sludge,
which is spread on fields. How do these modern farming practices affect
our food, health, and the environment? How are governments and large
scale agribusinesses responding to environmental and food quality concerns
post-Walkerton? How can we work toward a sustainable food system?

Panelists:
Don Mills: Organic livestock farmer and Ontario Regional Co-ordinator
for the National Farmers Union.
Maureen Reilly: Water Quality Campaign Leader, Sierra Club.
Bill Weida: Project Co-ordinator, Global Resource Action Center for the
Environment Factory Farm Project; former Professor of Economics and
Business, The Colorado College, Colorado Springs.
Jim Dalrymple: Agricultural consultant with Livestock Technology
Services and contributor to Better Farming publications. Formerly a civil
servant with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
Invited: Representative of the Ontario Liberal Government.

Moderator: Karin Wells: Broadcast journalist with CBC Radio's The
Current.

Event sponsored by the St. Lawrence Centre Forum, The Council of
Canadians, Beyond Factory Farming, the GRACE Foundation, and the Toronto Food
Policy Council.

Carolyn Langdon
STLC Forum
27 Front St. E.