[ensu] additional announcements

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:42:15 -0500

1) ENSU benefit concert (Just making sure you take a note of this)
   Tell your friends, tell everyone, we need to raise a lot of money and it's
for a really good cause.

2) Something important for the Innis students

3) Toronto Conference on Global Infectious Diseases

1)
ENSU is hosting a benefit concert for BikeShare this Friday Feb 27 at B-side
at 9pm. The Cover is $7 and 100% of the proceeds go to Bikeshare. The Bands
include The Brooks Sisters (www.thebrookssisters.com) with our very own
Caroline Brooks, Siân Evans (www.sianevans.ca), and The July 26th Movement
(www.j26.org). Help us kick off UofT environment week, socialize with your
fellow environmentalists to some great rock music and find out what
environmental projects are going on around campus!
2)
> Innis Environmental Studies faculty, TAs and
> students:
>
> Event 1:
>
> I am writing to invite you to attend a meeting to
> discuss the program
> five-year plan which will be held on Thursday, March 4th
    5:00 to 6:30 pm, in
> Room 209 of the College. We are proposing to work
> with the Division of
> Environment and Institute for Environmental Studies
> to create a new entity,
> tentatively named the University of Toronto Centre
> for Environment. If
> approved by the university, it would become
> operational July 1, 2005. I have
> attached here a
> description of the proposal for a new entity and a
> one-page description of
> the Innis program priorities, within that joint
> context.
>
> Many of our you participated in the survey and
> planning meetings last year
> and we would now like to again get your input and
> suggestions.
>
> Contact me in advance if you have questions or
> comments, and then I hope to
> see you at the March 4 meeting.
> Event 2:
>
> Earlier that day, the College will be making a
> presentation on its proposed
> fund-raising objectives. If you wish to participate
> in that discussion as
> well, please attend that event. The invitation to
> that event, from the
> College Principal, appears immediately below.
>
> All the best.
>
> Doug Macdonald, Program Director
>
> Dear Innis Folk,
>
> As you know the College is launching its Capital
> Campaign, designed to raise
> money for extensive renovations.  The aims are: to
> improve Town Hall;provide
> accessibility; create more classrooms, student
> societies and social spaces,
> and offices; reconfigure the library; and landscape
> the Green. The broad
> outlines of the plan have been prepared by Gerald
> Robinson, our Architect in
> Residence, and discussed in various forums in the
> College over the last
> months.  This notice is to announce a presentation
> of the plan by Gerald and
> a general discussion about it:
>
> Thursday, March 4
> 3:00 - 5:00
> Town Hall
> Innis College
>
> It is hoped that as many from the College Community
> as possible can
> attend,since it will provide an opportunity to begin
> having input to the
> plan.  A broadly representative College Users
> Committee is being formed,
> which can take advise from discussions at the forum.
>  We can also discuss
> ways that members of the community can help in the
> fund-raising campaign to
> make these exciting plans a reality.
>
> Hoping to see you at the forum,
>
> Frank Cunningham
> Principal

3)
The Centre for Global Health Research (CGHR) is pleased to announce the
Toronto Conference on Global Infectious Diseases to be held in Toronto,
Canada  from June 15-16, 2004.  A description of the conference and
invited speakers and instructions for submitting abstracts is provided below
and is also in the attached document.

Please feel free to forward this notice to anyone you think may be
interested in also attending.

For more information, please see www.cghr.org/ID or email
daidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, or call +1 416 864 6060, ext 3303.

Controlling the Risk:
The Toronto Conference on Global Infectious Diseases
June 15-16 2004, Toronto, Canada

The Centre for Global Health Research (CGHR) is pleased to announce the

Toronto Conference on Global Infectious Diseases to be held in Toronto,
Canada  from June 15-16, 2004.  The theme for the Conference is
"Controlling the Risk: Science to Combat Global Infectious
Diseases."  The CGHR Conference brings together scientists from around
the world to discuss the causes, consequences and control of major
infectious diseases.  Among the topics discussed will be influenza, SARS,
HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

Day 1: The first day will focus on issues relevant to the public
including roundtable discussions on:
a) The economic consequences of global diseases
b) Media and its response to global infections
c) Preparation and response of governments to global infections

Invited Speakers/Panellists:
* Ashok Alexander, Executive Director, Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation, New Delhi, India
* Sir George Alleyne, Former Director of the Pan American Health
Organization, Washington, DC, USA
* Sheila Basrur, Chief Medical Officer of Health, Government of
Ontario, Toronto, Canada
* Jacques Baudouy, Director, Health, Population and Nutrition, The
World Bank, Washington, DC, USA
* Vince Carlin, Chairman, Journalism School, Ryerson Polytechnic
University, Toronto, Canada
* Laurie Garrett, award winning author of The Coming Plague: Newly
Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance and Betrayal of Trust: The
Collapse
of Global Public Health, New York, USA
* David Heymann, Executive Director, Polio Eradication, World Health
Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
* John Hunkin, Chairman and CEO, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce,
Toronto, Canada
* Dean Jamison, Senior Fellow, National Institutes of Health (NIH), and
UCLA, Los Angeles, USA
* Gerald Keusch, Former Director, Fogarty International Centre, NIH and
Provost, Boston College, Boston, USA
* Jeff Lozon, President and CEO, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto,
Canada
* Allison McGreer, Director of Infection Control, Mount Sinai Hospital,
Toronto, Canada
* David Naylor, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto,
Canada
* NS Zhong, Professor, Guangzhou Institute of Respiratory Diseases,
Guangzhou, People's Republic of China

Day 2: The second day will feature scientific presentations by leading

Canadian and international scientists on influenza, SARS, HIV/AIDS,
tuberculosis and malaria.

Conference Chair: Prabhat Jha, Director, CGHR and Canada Research Chair
of Health and Development, University of Toronto

Advisory Committee Members: Arthur Slutsky, St. Michael's Hospital,
Toronto (Chair); Michel Bergeron, Infectious Diseases Research Centre, Laval

University, Quebec City; Robert Brunham, British Columbia Centre for
Disease Control, Vancouver; Donald Low, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto;
Allison McGreer, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto; Francis A. Plummer,
Health Canada National Microbiology Laboratory, Winnipeg.

Conference Sponsors: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Manulife
Financial.

Information and call for abstracts: Please visit www.cghr.org/ID for
registration and abstract submission or contact daidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
for any inquires.  The deadline for submitting abstracts is April 30,2004.

Tina Daid, BSc.
Centre for Global Health Research
70 Richmond St. East
Suite 315