[ensu] SAC election, vote today

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:23:08 -0500

Because we (ENSU) wants to stay away from endorsing one ticket over the other,
we simply present what each ticket has to offer. Below is a description of
both. The first is a website for Building Bridges, and following that is a text
description of Vote Unity.

***************************************

Building Bridges - www.votebuildingbridges.ca

VOTE UNITY in the SAC Elections
VOTE TODAY (MARCH 16-18) on ROSI
http://www.rosi.utoronto.ca

http://www.voteunity.ca

 Dear Members of ENSU:

RE-ELECT HOWARD TAM FOR SAC Vice-President UNIVERSITY
AFFAIRS

 My name is Howard Tam and I am running for
 Vice-President University Affairs
 for the Students' Administrative Council (SAC). I am a
fifth year student
 from Computer Engineering.

 Among the items that have traditionally been in the
 portfolio of University Affairs includes matters
 related to
 the environment. The University Affairs Commission has
 traditionally organized the annual Environment Week
and
 has supported
 Radical Roots (formerly the Vegetarium) in the past.

 As the current VP University Affairs (I'm running for
 re-election) I have worked to place a larger emphasis
 on environmental issues at SAC.
 Among my accomplishments include:
 - passing SAC's first ever Environmental Protection
 Policy. This policy sets in place a formal working
 group at SAC to work on Enviromental initiatives
 and obliges SAC to promote Stewardship to the
 university community
 - organizing a very successful Environment Week 2004.
 helped to bring our Key Note Speaker, Federal
 Environment Minister David Anderson and helped
organize
 the Activism Fair on the Friday. Both events were
 very well attended.
 - working on the SAC-UTERN Environmental Proposal to
be
 submitted to the admin callign for a full time
 sustainability office, co=ordinated composting and a
 campus environmental revolving loan fund. (this report
 has already been
 included as an appendix to the campus Green House Gas
 Reduction Proposal)

 Unfortunately, I believe that there is still much to
be
 done to truly make this a Greener, Sustainable Campus.

 If re-elected I will fight for:
 - continuing to implement the SAC Environmental
 Protection Policy (available on the SAC website
 www.sac.utoronto.ca)
 - continuing to fight for the Sustainability office
and
 approach the alumni office to ask them to help us
 fundraise for the revolving loan fund.
 - working on composting in residence, promoting
 stewardship, and ensuring student input in the Green
 House Gas Reduction Plan.
 - expanding Bikeshare. Unfortunately due to lack of
 funding, BikeShare cannot expand on Campus. However,
 SAC in conjunction with Bikeshare is working on asking
 students for a levy
 to fund bikeshare expansion (question is on this
year's
 referendum ballot) and I will work with Bikeshare to
 use this pool (if it passes) to finally get more hubs
 on campus.

 I believe that the environmental movement is at a
 crossroads at this campus. We have made much headway
 this year, and the momentum is with us. However, we
 need somebody who is knowledgeable and experienced
with
 the issues
 to keep the momentum going at SAC and with the
 students. I believe that by re-electing me we will be
 able to do just that. For more information about me,
 and about my platform on other issues, please check
out
 my website www.voteunity.ca

 RE-ELECT HOWARD TAM FOR SAC VP UNIVERSITY AFFAIRS

These are the paticulars of my University Affairs
platform, but each
UNITY candidate also supports working for real
environmental change at our
university and will work hard with me and you to
accomplish our goals.  In
general, we are an experienced and diverse group of
people.  We will be able to get
more done together instead of the constant bickering
that goes on at SAC. So
please also consider voting for my running mates on the
UNITY team.

UNITY is:
 Rini Ghosh for President
 Lisa Aldridge for Vp Operations
 Julia Munk for VP Equity
 Sam Rahimi for VP External
 Moneeza Ahmed for VP UTM

 for more info www.voteunity.ca

 thanks and don't forget to vote March 16-18 on ROSI
 www.rosi.utoronto.ca

 Sincerely,

 Howard Tam
 VP University Affairs Candidate.