[ensu] Forums on Architecture and Save Our Cites!

  • From: ENSU <utorensu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

"St. Lawrence Centre Forum" <forumpub@xxxxxxxx> wrote:From: "St. Lawrence
Centre Forum"
To: utorensu@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Forums on Architecture and Save Our Cites!
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:09:18 -0400

If you haven't made it to a forum this year now is your chance.

TheToronto Star, Doors Open Toronto and the St. Lawrence Centre Forum present
Edifice Complex: Why We Care About Toronto's Architecture
Wednesday May 21, 7:30-9:30 pm
St. Lawrence Centre Forum
27 Front Street East
Admission is free

Dowload printable flyer from: http://forum.stlc.com/Edifice.pdf

The good, the bad and the ugly - buildings create the shape of our city. The
best architecture reflects design traditions and innovations over centuries and
defines our sense of place, pride and well-being. Bad architecture feels like a
wasted opportunity. As for the ugly, well that's usually a matter of personal
opinion. Is it possible to have stunning beauty without the odd beast?

In the week leading up to the 4th annual Doors Open Toronto, the popular,
city-wide celebration of our architecture, it's time for a public forum about
why we care about buildings.

Toronto is embarking on an era of urban renewal. Passionate debate is swirling
around ambitious new cultural projects. Economic growth in downtown
neighbourhoods is being stimulated by heritage projects like 401 Richmond and
The Distillery Historic District (formerly Gooderham + Worts Distillery). And
new condominium developments and loft-conversions define the urban landscape
like never before.

Is there a Toronto style?
What excites or disappoints you about architecture, and how does it affect you
on a day- to-day basis?
What visions do you have for the shape of Toronto to come?

with
Daniel Libeskind: Lead Architect, Renaissance ROM
Kevin Garland: Executive Director, National Ballet of Canada
Royson James: Municipal Affairs Columnist, Toronto Star
David Jackson: Cityscape Development Corporation - The Distillery Historic
District

Moderator: Ben Chin: Canada Now, CBC Television

Co-sponsored by:
The Toronto Star, Doors Open Toronto - a program of the City of Toronto's
Culture Division - and St. Lawrence Centre Forum
~~~~~~~~
Save Our Cities
Thursday May 22, 9:30 am
St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
27 Front Street East
Admission is free

Download printable flyer from our website http://forum.stlc.com/Cities.pdf

with featured speakers
Elyse Allan: President and CEO, Board of Trade
John Sewell: former Mayor, City of Toronto.

Moderator: Ted Barris: author, CBC broadcaster and Professor of Journalism at
Centennial College.

Canada's cities are in crisis! Civic leaders say Toronto and other major cities
are effectively being starved by senior governments of the financial resources
they need to meet their responsibilities and to successfully compete in the
global economy.

Proposed new funding will not nearly meet all the needs of our cities. Tough
times require tough decisions. Who will decide how much our cities will get and
how it will be used?

Introductory Remarks: Al Gorlick, Chair, Alliance of Seniors and Anne Johnston,
City Councillor & Seniors' Advocate. "O Canada" will be sung by the WoodGreen
Mandarin Choir.

Co-sponsored by: the Alliance of Seniors to Protect Canada?s Social Programs
and the St. Lawrence Centre Forum

This Forum is dedicated to the memory of community activist Sarah Adler

Carolyn Langdon
STLC Forum
27 Front St. E.
Toronto M5E 1B4
(416)366-1656 x274

Other Upcoming Forums:
Edifice Complex: Why we care about Toronto's Architecture, May 21 7:30 pm
Save Our Cities, May 22 9:30 a.m
Student forum on the future of the UN, May 26 1-3 pm
Check out the website: http://forum.stlc.com