[ensu] ENSU starts the new academic year

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:10:37 -0400

Greetings,

The Environmental Students' Union has spent the summer and the beginning of
this year to bring you a better and more dynamic organization. There's a
completely new executive with a totally new mandate.

This newsletter will cover the following:

1) The new ENSU executive (names, e-mails, office hours, and open positions)
2) The new mandate (awareness and advocacy)
3) Projects for this year

1) New Executive Council

Last springs elections has brought together a great group of peoples with
various interests. This year's executives are:

Coordinator
Juan Davila
marinero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(R 11:30am - 1:30pm)

Public Relations Officer
Francesca Daniels
francesca.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx
(T 11am, R 11am - 1pm)

Volunteer Coordinator
Matthew Niedzielski
matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
(F 12 - 2pm)

Academic/Administrative Liaison
Caroline Brooks
caroline.brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx
(W 3pm)

Treasurer
Edward Silhol
orphew@xxxxxx
(M 12pm)

Secretary
Anna Gunz
anna.gunz@xxxxxxxxxxx
(T 12pm)

2nd Year Representative
Gill Cerbu
gill.cerbu@xxxxxxxxxxx

3rd Year Representative
Jacqueline Canton
jacqueline_c@xxxxxxxxxxx
(M 11am, W 10am - 12pm)

4th Year Representative
Colin Love
captaincolly@xxxxxxxx

IMPORTANT: We are still looking for a webmaster to maintain the ENSU website
(http://www.utoronto.ca/envstudy/ensu/). If you are interested please visit the
ENSU office located in Innis College behind the student cafe at any of the
office hours mentioned above, or e-mail ENSU at utorensu@xxxxxxxxx

2) The new mandate: Awareness and Advocacy.

Unlike the previous years when ENSU represented the three departments of
environment students (Environmental Studies, Division of the Environment, and
Geography), this year we are opening our membership to the entire university
community.

But not to worry, ENSU will still act as an organization through which students
can communicate their inquiries and recommendations about environmental
programs and courses between the student body and the faculty.

We have opened up the membership to all students who want to see changes done
to the campus and the the academic bureaucracy. If you want to voice your
opinion on something of interest, contact us and we'll see what we can do.

Beyond opening up our membership, ENSU has determined path. Instead of merely
existing in hopes that students one day will find a use for the Union, the ENSU
executive has laid out a two paths to actively follow:

Awareness:
This part of the new mandate was created to make the school community more
aware of environmental issues. Through various projects ENSU hopes to enrich
the lives of U of T students by providing them with information they would
otherwise not have a chance to learn. The University of Toronto has vast
resources and we hope to at least provide a brief glimpse to what's happening
in the world around us.

Advocacy:
The new executive has highlighted a few issues of concern relating to the
functioning of the university and the status of the student society. Some
programs were developed to tackle these issues (see Project below) and to
confront the university so as to make the University of Toronto an even better
institution.

3) Projects

Over the summer the Ensu executive has come together and listed a number of
projects they wished to accomplish. There were many propositions, all of which
were in hopes of creating a better awareness of environmental issues among the
student community. However due to time and funding restrictions, not all were
able to make the final cut.

These are the projects that ENSU will pursue this year and who is responsible
for them:

1. ENSU magazine: Green Perspective
We are hoping to make this the premier student run environmental magazine on
campus. It will act as a tool for awareness, advocacy, and student
communication. If you want to contribute as a writer, reporter, researcher,
layout designer, assistant editor, or in anything else, please contact us.

2. Environmental Coalition
ENSU wishes to strenghten the environmental community by joining up with other
environmental groups on campus. With a broader operational base we will be able
to bring a stronger voice to issues of interest. All are welcome, after all,
the more voices we have the stronger our causes become.

3. Environmental Breadth Requirement
Perhaps our most ambitious project. We all know that knowledge is power. Coming
out of university we're supposed to know what's going on. Unfortunately,
surprisingly few people know much detail about what is actually happening in
the environment. This is something that we want to change. It may take some
time but we believe that providing an option where students can take an
environmental course as a breadth requirement will make for a much more
informed graduating class. Aspiring lawyers are needed, so are the rest of you.

4. Rooftop Garden
To bring the student community together ENSU proposes the creation of a rooftop
garden. This will take some advocative action, but it will bring people of
similar interest together and teach them how little things like this help the
environment. All are welcome to help out.

5. Benefit Concert
Early next year we are planning on organizing a benefit concert. We already
have a few bands lined up to give a voice to various causes. We need
organizers, and lots of them.

6. Hikes
Several hikes through Toronto's great parks and ravines. Come out to enjoy
nature, socialize, and learn about the wilderness that is around us. If you
like to meet new people and be outdoors, this may be a great opportunity for
you to practice your leadership and organizational skills.

7. Treeplanting
Help give something back to the environment. Organized through an outside ENGO,
all you have to do is bring yourself and a hat.

8. Letter writing campaigns
Practice your democratic right. We select a variety of issues and make sure
that the government knows about them.

9. Lecture Series
We're bringing together a host of well known speakers to share with us their
views of life, the environmental, and community.

10. Community Gatherings
A few times throughout the year ENSU will host small get-togethers open to all.
Come in and ask our executive about their experiences in the different
environmental programs. Many of us are 4th year students and have been through
it all. Trust us, you'll appreciate our advice.

11. Fashion
We're tired of those boring t-shirts with simple logos that nobody pays
attention to. We plan on making fashion with a message. If you have a talent
for design, or political wit, or just feel like saying "Screw You" to the
government in an artistic way, please feel free to contact us.

12. Organic Bake Sale
Food made the way it's supposed to be. Help support some really healthy foods
and see what's possible outside of mass production

These are the major projects that we hope to execute this year. Anyone who is
interested in helping us out is welcome to join.

If none of the above suit your interests but you still want to get involved
please contact Matt, our Volunteer Coordinator at matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
and he'll tell you of other ways that you can help out.

Hope to see you and enjoy this new academic year.