[ensu] ENSU news and 5 announcements

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:03:28 -0400

Hey all,

Matt here. Last year I was the volunteer coordinator for ENSU, now I'm the
coordinator/president. I'll still be keeping you updated via e-mail until
someone takes over the necessary position.

ENSU is still functioning over the summer period, although to a lesser degree
as we plan our strategy for the next academic year. For those interested in
helping out, stay tuned for future updates. For those interested in getting
involved a little deeper, there are still a few executive positions open. We'll
post titles and descriptions later on.

In this e-mail:

1) Natural City Symposium June 23-25

2) Hydrogen & Fuel Cells 2004 Conference and Trade Show September 25-28

3) Red Hill Valley Tree-Sitters Support Rally
       Saturday June 12, 3 P.M.

4) A Planet Friendly Summer

5) Talk Energy Online

1)

A REMINDER that THE NATURAL CITY SYMPOSIUM is taking place from June
23-25, 2004, at the University of Toronto. Over 90 speakers from around the
world will discuss how urban and natural environments must be integrated in
order to promote sustainability.  The conference aims to foster a dialogue
between a variety of disciplines, including philosophy, political science, the
arts, environmental science, architecture, engineering and many more.

The conference will feature keynote speaker, Robert F. Kennedy Jr, who will
present a talk entitled "A Contract with Our Future", Wednesday, June 23rd,
2004 from 7:30-9pm at Convocation Hall with opening remarks by Mayor David
Miller, City of Toronto.  Tickets for this event may be purchased separately
for $35, $10 for students with valid ID (students may purchase up to 2 tickets)
by calling 416-978-3475.

Updated agenda and registration information for the conference are available
at: http://www.utoronto.ca/divenv/NaturalCity or call (416)
978-3475 or (416) 978-7077; or email natural.city@xxxxxxxxxxxx
This conference is being convened by the Division of the Environment,
Institute for Environmental Studies at the University of Toronto, and
the World Society for Ekistics

2)

Hydrogen & Fuel Cells 2004 Conference and Trade Show
Toronto, Canada, September 25-28, 2004

REMINDER: EARLY BIRD DEADLINE - JUNE 30, 2004

The buzz is growing for Canada's premier hydrogen and fuel cells event, the
Hydrogen & Fuel Cells 2004 Conference and Trade Show. We would like to extend
an invitation for you to attend this world-class event, organized by the
conference partners: Canadian Hydrogen Association, Fuel Cells Canada,
Government of Canada, and Government of Ontario.

For four days in September, the world's leading hydrogen and fuel cell
companies/organizations, along with government officials and key industry
stakeholders will come together in Toronto, Canada to exchange ideas at this
exciting time for the hydrogen and fuel cell industry.

In addition to the conference, there will be an extensive trade show and public
exhibition where hydrogen and fuel cell companies will have an opportunity to
demonstrate their efforts 'towards a greener world'.

Don't miss your chance to be a part of this exceptional event! Register for the
conference and hotel by the Early Bird registration deadline of June 30, 2004,
and you will have a chance to win a complimentary night at the Sheraton Centre
Toronto and dinner for two at the "Bistro on Two".

For more information on 1) Sponsorship Options 2) Indoor and Outdoor Exhibiting
Opportunities 3) Conference Program Details please visit the conference
website: www.hydrogenfuelcells2004.com <http://www.hydrogenfuelcells2004.com>
Any Questions?
Contact the Conference Secretariat at hfc2004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:hfc2004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

3)
Red Hill Valley Tree-Sitters Support Rally
Saturday June 12, 3 P.M.
    For a little over a week, three members of Friends of the Red Hill Valley
have been sitting in trees to protest/halt the destruction of the Red Hill
Valley in Hamilton. The area is being threatened by a proposed expressway
through one of the last remaining green spaces in Hamilton. Work has already
begun on the expressway and a significant portion of the forest has already
been lost. If completed, the Red Hill Valley Expressway would result in the
largest destruction that the "protected" Niagara Escarpment has ever seen.
Earthroots is organizing a group from Toronto to attend a rally being held at
the Red Hill Valley site on Saturday June 12th at 3 P.M. Please contact me by
phone (416-599-0152 x.20) if you are interested in coming. We are especially in
need of drivers, so let me know if you have a vehicle.
Sincerely,
Andrew Athanasiu
--
Earthroots Outreach
--------------------------------

phone: 416-599-0152 X 20
fax: 416-340-2429
www.earthroots.org

4)

A PLANET-FRIENDLY SUMMER
peace | enviro | organics | health & nature | community
http://www.planetfriendly.net/summer

Ah, summer! For some, a time to hop into the car and zoom
around in motorboats -- for others, a time to experience the
outdoors, the planet and its people ...a little more closely.
Are you lured by the hype and expense of mainstream
recreation? Or would you prefer more fun, less expense
...and to tread a bit more lightly on the planet?

CONTENTS
(A) People- & Planet-Friendly Summer Calendar
(B) Eco-Experience Places across North America
(C) WWOOF -- More than Meets the Eye
(D) Green Travel, Recreation & Transportation
(E) GoodWork! Employment, Internships & Volunteering

(A) PLANET-FRIENDLY SUMMER CALENDAR
Green and Healthy Festivals, Retreats & Grassroots Gatherings

This summer, why not get away, see things from a different
angle, maybe connect with others who share your interests?

Planet-Friendly Summerfest is a free, non-commercial
calendar of activities, events, retreats and gatherings across
Ontario, Canada and beyond. Everything from canoe tours
in Toronto... to the annual "Social Justice Retreat" in
Algonquin Park... to grassroots music festivals.

It's all at: http://planetfriendly.net/summerfest
Got an event? Post it here: http://planetfriendly.net/submit

EVENTS YEAR-ROUND & OTHER CALENDARS

Many more events year-round can be found in the full
Planet-Friendly Calendar http://planetfriendly.net/calendar/
plus other green and progressive calendars across North
America ( http://planetfriendly.net/directory.html#events ).
Got an event? Post it here! http://planetfriendly.net/submit
(Ontario events, plus major events of interest to Canadians.)
There are new listings daily.

Can't afford an event? Ask the organizers about work-exchange,
volunteer or sliding-scale options.

Summerfest Calendar: http://planetfriendly.net/summerfest
Year-round Calendar: http://planetfriendly.net/calendar

(B) ECO-EXPERIENCE PLACES across North America

Looking for more than a weekend away? This unique
directory offers an incredible variety of fun, experience,
community and involvement. From organic havens to
nature retreats... from wilderness trips to ecovillages and
more. Participate in tours, workshops, outdoor activities,
volunteer opportunities, internships and special events.

Some of these places offer "work-exchange" opportunities
-- you offer your help in return for food, accommodation,
instruction and/or mentorship. If you're keen, you can find
great ways to spend the entire season (and spend less
money than many spend in a week).

Eco-Experience Places across North America
http://www.planetfriendly.net/learn

See also The Community Page, including its portal to
Ecovillages and Intentional Communities around the
world. Many offer great visitor programs, volunteer
and work-exchange opps., internships and more.

Ecovillages, Communities, Cooperatives...
http://www.planetfriendly.net/community

(C) WWOOF!  -- around the world or in your own backyard

Wwoofing is the hardest thing to explain to someone who
hasn't experienced it (and even some who have!). That's
probably because it's so diverse -- it is really what
*you* make it.

For some people, Wwoofing is a way to learn about organic
gardening, perhaps to start a garden or farm of their own.
For others, it's a way to live healthily for a few days, weeks
or a season -- eating well, breathing fresh air, and enjoying
good company. For yet others, it's an experiment with
non-urban living, a foray into a new lifestyle. And, for
those bitten by the travel bug, it's a way to travel the
world and experience other cultures.

WWOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic
Farms (and gardens). There are over 400 hosts across
Canada and many more worldwide. The basic idea is that
you offer your skilled or unskilled assistance in return for
food, housing, instruction if desired, and good company.

To participate, you pay a small fee and get a booklet
describing hundreds of opportunities available. Then it's
up to you to contact those that interest you. Each situation
is different. It's up to you and the prospective host to
communicate your respective needs, wants and expectations
-- and see if there's a good match. What you want to do;
what degree of instruction (if any); how long you want
to stay; what are your preferences, hopes and goals?

Note: Wwoofing is *not* only for gardeners, want-to-be
gardeners, and garden helpers. There are also opportunities
for handy-persons, cooks, renewable energy folks,
business people, computer nerds, general or household
help -- and just about everyone else. It's just a matter
of looking, asking, and offering your help.

Introduction to Wwoofing
http://www.planetfriendly.net/wwoof

WWOOF Links & Organizations
http://www.planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html#links

Wwoofing Stories & Articles
http://www.planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html#stories

International WWOOF Association
http://www.wwoof.org/

(D) GREEN TRAVEL, RECREATION, TRANSPORTATION

This section of our "Sustainable Living Links" directory
is focused on healthy, sustainable, affordable travel and
recreation.

Check it out for everything from self-propelled activities
such as walking, hiking and cycling ...to ecotourism,
educational travel, and working your way around the world.

Green Recreation
http://www.planetfriendly.net/living.html#recreation

Green Travel & Eco-Travel
http://www.planetfriendly.net/living.html#travel2

Don't miss the corresponding Green Transportation section
to learn about a wide variety of ways to get around -- healthy
and affordable alternatives to owning and driving a car.

Green Transportation
http://www.planetfriendly.net/living.html#transport

(E) GOODWORK - Employment, Internships & Volunteering

GoodWork is a year-round service. This time of year there
are lots of great summer jobs, internships, volunteer
opportunities and activities. To receive the listings as soon
as they are posted, subscribe to the GoodWork e-mail list.
And don't miss the great resources and opportunities linked
from the GoodWork website.

GOODWORK CANADA
Employment, Internships & Volunteering
Peace | Enviro | Sust. Living | Food & Gardening | Activism
http://www.planetfriendly.net/goodwork

(F) New & Related at Planet-Friendly and GoodWork

A Planet-Friendly Summer - http://planetfriendly.net/summer
Wwoof, Wwoofing, Wwoofer! - http://planetfriendly.net/wwoof

Everything Organic - http://planetfriendly.net/organic
Sustainable Living Links - http://planetfriendly.net/living
Don't Pave It - http://planetfriendly.net/dontpave
Ecoportal Canada - http://planetfriendly.net/ecoportal

Art & Music for Social Change - http://planetfriendly.net/art
GoodWork Quotations http://planetfriendly.net/goodworkquotes.html
How to be an Activist - http://planetfriendly.net/active

More www.planetfriendly.net http://planetfriendly.net/directory

(G) ABOUT PEOPLE- & PLANET-FRIENDLY and GoodWork

Planet-Friendly provides this newsletter and website
without charge even though they cost lots of time and
money to produce. If you can help by making a donation,
whether $5 or $100, it would be helpful and appreciated!
Please send to: People- & Planet-Friendly, Box 26011,
466 Gardiners Rd., Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7M 4Y0.
(Not tax-deductible; if you want a receipt, please send
a stamped addressed envelope). Thanks!

Please post and distribute freely. You are also welcome
to quote or excerpt, as long as you indicate the source:
http://www.planetfriendly.net

SUBSCRIBE TO P&PF: http://www.planetfriendly.net
or e-mail people@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  subject: subscribe
SUBSCRIBE TO GOODWORK: http://planetfriendly.net/goodwork
POST AN EVENT: http://www.planetfriendly.net/submit.html
POST A JOB: http://www.planetfriendly.net/goodworksubmit.html
POST AN ANNOUNCEMENT: http://www.planetfriendly.net/forum/
http://www.planetfriendly.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

To learn more about People & Planet-Friendly, see our website,
"About" page, and the Planet-Friendly Story -- all are linked
from the homepage. http://www.planetfriendly.net/

A PLANET-FRIENDLY SUMMER will also be posted
on the web. Any corrections or additions will appear there.
http://www.planetfriendly.net/summer

Have a great, green, healthy summer!  - Peter Blanchard

PEOPLE- & PLANET-FRIENDLY http://www.planetfriendly.net/
GOODWORK http://www.planetfriendly.net/goodwork.html

5)

Talk Energy is an online community for people interested in sustainable energy.
People from across the globe can share research, build projects and communicate
with others who have a passion for how we use energy. Last week we launched
Talk Energy at the University of Prince Edward Island. I have included the
press release for your review (below).If you or any of the faculty are
interested in renewable energy or energy conservation, please contact me or you
can find Talk Energy at www.talkenergy.com.

Thank you.

Darrin Mitchell

President

Talk Energy

darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.talkenergy.com
(902) 888-2030

Talk Energy (www.talkenergy.com)- is a new online community that specializes in
sustainable energy.Its unique online software allows people from around the
globe to participate in conversations regarding sustainable energy.
Last week Talk Energy launched its ?Million Person Campaign? with a goal of
having one million people talking about energy.When Talk Energy achieves its
goal, one member will win a $50,000 home energy renovation (anywhere in the
world).

Press Release For Immediate Distribution May 25, 2004

Talk Energy- an online community for people interested in sustainable energy-
is now live!www.talkenergy.com

"Nowadays, everyone is talking about energy ? how to save it, how to produce it
more cleanly and how to manage it. People are looking for a place to connect
and that?s where Talk Energy comes in. We?ve created a community that bridges
the gap between those who desire a sustainable future and those with ideas of
how to achieve it. It?s a place where people can learn, teach, build real
relationships, create solutions and share a passion for how we use energy,"
explains Mitchell, Talk Energy?s President.

Talk Energy announced that it will be giving away a $50,000usd Home Energy
Renovation to one of its members (anywhere in the world) as part of
its "Million Person Campaign". "We?re excited about sustainable energy and want
999,999 others to be just as excited," says Mitchell.

Officially launched on May 25th, the site is already attracting attention from
a wide range of people from across the globe. Home owners, engineers,
inventors, business owners and individuals interested in energy have been
logging on to read, ask and participate.

WadeMacLauchlan, President of the University of Prince Edward Island and well
known adopter of new ideas, says "Talk Energy is a fantastic tool for
exchanging ideas. UPEI's faculty and students have access to dialogue with
other universities all over the world. The concept is very innovative; the team
is smart and entrepreneurial; and, the issues are critically important."

It?s a community where we can ask questions and find answers. Everyone wants to
make a difference in the world but it?s sometimes difficult with a busy
lifestyle and finding people in your immediate area with similar interests.
Talk Energy allows individuals to participate in discussions, build projects
and share knowledge at any time of day from their own homes.

Talk Energy provides discussion boards and hosting free of charge for non-
profits, universities and research and development facilities that specialize
in sustainable energy.

Organizations are given their own discussion tools, polls and calendars to post
events. In turn, the organization can use their section to interact with their
members and promote their activities. All free of charge, as an appreciation
for the many volunteers who are making a difference.

"It is the goal of Talk Energy to provide the community that will forward the
knowledge and efforts of all of those making a difference in how we use
energy."

For more information, please contact Darrin Mitchell, President, Talk Energy
(902) 888-2030 or darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, www.talkenergy.com

-end-