[ensu] Call for volunteers!

  • From: "Kristle Calisto-Tavares" <k.calisto.tavares@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ensu" <ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:38:01 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Raví Mark Singh [mailto:rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 2:06 PM
To: info @ eneract.org
Subject: Call for volunteers!

Dear all,

Please distribute widely.

EnerACT has a couple of volunteer positions available.  These positions are:
1. Steering Committee for EnerACT's Public Education and Awareness Strategy
(PEAS).  Time commitment: 5 hours per month.  Submit a brief expression of
interest, highlighting your non-profit/leadership experience, to: Program
Manager, EnerACT, rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx> .
DEADLINE: Sept. 23, 2002, noon.  Detailed description follows.

2. Volunteers: PEAS.  PEAS will attempt to target Toronto's many ethnic
groups as it is our belief that similar programs currently being offered do
not take into account the nuances of working with a diverse population. Your
role will be to act as a liaison between your community and EnerACT.  Time
commitment per month: three month commitment, 8 hours for the first month,
less thereafter.  Indicate your interest to: Program Manager, EnerACT,
rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx> .  Detailed description
follows.

Detailed descriptions:

1.  Steering Committee for EnerACT's Public Education and Awareness Strategy
(PEAS).  PEAS is a three-year education campaign that focuses on the
residents of the City of Toronto.  Its "Education Component" includes a
website, public workshops and printed material.  Its "Diversity Component"
will target ethnic communities with specially crafted energy conservation
messages.

Other keywords that may be of interest: Person-to-person interaction,
community based social marketing, ethnic diversity, youth, workshop,
challenge, "Twelve step plan to lower energy bills".

We need two individuals with diverse backgrounds (marketing, public
relations, communications, program management, program evaluation, commerce,
social work, etc) to sit on the PEAS Steering Committee, an official
Committee of the Board of Directors.  Other members of this committee
include: and EnerACT Board member and 1 youth.  The Steering Committee will
guide PEAS over the course of the three years.
Immediately necessary is a review of the program content that I, as the
Program Manager, will be developing over the coming month.

We request your commitment for a 1 year membership on the Committee, which
can be renewed if you so please.  The Committee will require about 5 hours
per month of your time.

2. Volunteers: PEAS.  PEAS adopts a unique approach to education through its
work with local community groups.  It will attempt to target Toronto's many
ethnic groups as it is our belief that similar programs currently being
offered do not take into account the nuances of working with a diverse
population.  Ethnic groups account for over 50% of Toronto's population.

We require the assistance of people of different ethnic backgrounds in the
following areas:
- research: determine which ethnic groups to target;
- research: to craft program content for diverse groups;
- translation: to make publications available in different languages; and
- liaison: to bring EnerACT's message to ethnic and community media.

We request a 3 month commitment, with can be renewed if you so please.  This
will require about 5-8 hours of your time for the first month.  After that,
the level of your participation is entirely up to you.

---
These openings provide you with the to work with a progressive non-profit
organization that has continuously demonstrated its ability to be leaders in
the movement toward a sustainable energy base for Toronto.  For more
information on EnerACT, visit our website: www.eneract.org
<http://www.eneract.org> .

We look forward to having your participation in this exciting program.  For
further details, feel free to contact me via email: rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:rmsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx>  or via telephone: 416.488.3966.

Regards,

Raví Mark Singh, Program Manager
Energy Action Council of Toronto (EnerACT)
"Agents of Change for Conservation and Renewable Energy"

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS:
51 Wolseley Street, 5 Flr
Toronto, ON   M5T 1A4
Web: www.eneract.org <http://www.eneract.org>