[ensu] 6 announcements

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:52:01 -0500

1) Pimlott lecture

2) Job posting for Alternatives journal

3) 11th Annual International Conference on the St. Lawrence River Ecosystem

4) Support Minister Ramsay's proposal to protect Algonquin Park wolves

5) Environmental Health course available to undergrads

6) Pollution Probe's new Voluntary Initiatives Resource Centre (VIRC):

1)

The Annual Douglas Pimlott Memorial Lecture:

Student Action for a Green University of Toronto

Who: Environmental Studies Students - Jake Irwin, Francesca Daniels,

Caroline Brooks, Bryan Purcell & Juan Davila

What: Reception 5:30 p.m.

Panel discussion &

Pimlott Scholarship presentations 7:00 p.m.

When: Wed, March 24, 2004

Where: Innis Town Hall & Café

An Environmental Studies Program Presentation.  Admission is free.

Panel presentations by the following Innis students:

"Follow the green-brick road: navigating campus environmental groups" Jake Irwin

?The benefits of activism" Francesca Daniels

?How to make them listen" Caroline Brooks

"Beyond the birds and the bees: bridging the gaps amongst the environmental
movement and other progressive movements" Bryan Purcell

"Academia or action: reconciling activism with school" Juan Davila

Douglas Pimlott:

Douglas Pimlott and others established the Innis College Environmental Studies
Program in 1978. He was a U. of T. scientist who linked knowledge with action
and an activist in his own right. He was a founder of the Algonquin Wildlands
League in 1968. He would be proud of the work being done by today's Innis
College students.

For more information:

Doug Macdonald, Director, Environmental Studies Program Innis College, 416-978-
1558, douglas.macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx

To make a donation:

Pimlott Scholarship Fund

c/o Innis College, University of Toronto, 2 Sussex Ave, Toronto, ON M5S 1J5

Innis College ? Celebrating 40 Years of Innovative Education!

?Innis College at the University of Toronto respects your privacy.  We do not
rent, trade or sell our mailing list.  If you do not wish to receive this e-
communication, please contact alumni.innis@xxxxxxxxxxxx?

2)

Hello everyone,

It's been my pleasure to work with many of you during my two years here at
Alternatives. I've decided to move on to other things come June 1st, 2004.
We're now looking for a new executive editor.

Please circulate this job posting to anyone you think may be appropriate.

Many thanks,
Cheryl Lousley

Executive Editor for Alternatives Journal

Job Description
Alternatives Journal welcomes applicants for the position of Executive
Editor.  The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the
magazine¹s editorial process with the assistance of Alternatives¹ editorial
board, issue advisors, interns and volunteers.

Alternatives is Canada¹s foremost environmental magazine, tackling current
social and environmental issues from a Canadian perspective for over 30
years.  It provides a deeper level of analysis than can be gained from the
mainstream press, while remaining attractive to a wide readership.  Each
issue of Alternatives addresses a different theme related to environment in
the broadest sense (including social justice).  Recent themes have included
fisheries, energy, urban sprawl, water privatization, and racism.
Alternatives is a registered charity.

Responsibilities
- oversee editorial planning and ensure all editorial deadlines are met
- work with editorial board to develop issue themes and priorities
- work with issue advisors to develop calls for proposals and plan the
content of each issue
- solicit and select articles in collaboration with editorial board and
issue advisors
- co-ordinate the refereeing of feature articles
- substantive and stylistic editing of articles (and directing authors in
revisions)
- manage text through production process (including copyediting, display
copy and proofreading)
- supervise editorial intern(s) and volunteers
- may also participate in fundraising, advertising, promotion, and financial
management activities.

Qualifications
- strong editing skills developed through at least 2 years of experience,
preferably in a magazine setting
- broad knowledge of and interest in environmental issues, including social
justice
- demonstrated ability to set and meet tight deadlines
- desire to work in a small, cooperative organization
- outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- thorough knowledge of grammar and punctuation rules, and excellent
attention to detail
- familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet and database applications on
Macintosh

Candidates must be available to begin work on May 17, 2004. The position is
for 30 hours per week.  Remuneration will depend on experience.  Medical and
dental benefits are provided. Alternatives Journal is located on the campus
of the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario.

We are looking for the person or persons who best fit our organization and
editorial vision.  We can be flexible with regard to hours and
responsibilities for the right candidate(s).  While we prefer someone who is
able to work from the Alternatives office, we will consider strong
out-of-town candidates with electronic links.

Alternatives promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to
indicate voluntarily if they are women, Aboriginal persons, persons with a
disability or members of a visible minority group.

Please send us your resume and a letter of interest outlining your editing
experience and environmental background by March 31, 2004.  Only selected
candidates will be contacted.

Erin Rogozinski, Business Manager
Alternatives Journal
Faculty of Environmental Studies
University of Waterloo,
Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4545
Fax: (519) 746-0292
Email: business@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.alternativesjournal.ca

3)

11th Annual International Conference on the St. Lawrence River Ecosystem

FINAL SCIENTIFIC ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 31, 2004

Please contact ccollard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ASAP with your intention to submit.

The Great Lakes/ St. Lawrence River Institute of Environmental Sciences
(SLRIES) in partnership with the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is pleased to be
hosting its 11th Annual International Conference on the St. Lawrence River
Ecosystem.  This year?s theme "Managing Our Waters: The Great Lakes/St.
Lawrence River" seeks to highlight research which addresses the challenges of
managing water levels and explores the vario! us impacts on the system
resulting from water level changes. The theme also highlights the inherent
connectivity between the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Water level
control is a striking example of this connectivity, since the major water
control structures at Cornwall are used to regulate Lake Ontario and upper St.
Lawrence water levels.

Many of the sessions are being lead by co-chairs of the Technical Working
Groups of the Lake Ontario ? St. Lawrence River Water levels study. Much of the
research is the final results of a three year study by eminent scientist in
their fields. Details available at www.losl.org/twg/techboards-e.html

This is the last call for papers and all are invited to participate. We have
organized the conference with Special Session topics, (19 Special Sessions to
date); however, the final arrangement and number of session topics will depend
on the abstracts received.

1. Environmental Impacts of Water Level Fluctuations in the St. Lawrence/Great
Lakes
2. Managing our Water - It's our responsibility
3. Coastal Processes
4. Invasive Species
5. Information Management
6. Domestic, Industrial, and Municipal Water Uses
7. Environment/Wetlands
8. Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modeling
9. Hydroelectric Power
10. Recreational Boating/Tourism
11. Developing Long Term Vision: Planning along the St. Lawrence - current
practice and shortcomings.
12. Developing Ecosystem-Focused, Sustainable Tourism in the St. Lawrence River
Valley
13. Metals in Ecosystems
14. Indicators of Biotic Integrity for River Ecosystems
15. Environmental Effects Of Commercial Navigation And Mitigation Strategies:
16. Pesticides In Large Rivers And Lakes Current Agricultural Used Pesticides:
What Do We Know?
17. St. Lawrence River Ecosystem Assessment Of Nearshore And Riverine Aquatic
Habitats ?
18. Recent Advances In Mercury Research - Environment And H! ealth
19. General Contributions

Register Today Early Bird before April 1

http://www.riverinstitute.com/html/registration.html

For more information contact:
Christina Collard, Co-ordinator
2 Belmont Street, Cornwall, ON
K6H 4Z1
T. 613-936-6620 Ext: 222
F. 613-936-1803

ccollard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4)

Support Minister Ramsay's proposal to protect Algonquin Park wolves

Letters needed by April 2nd 2004

Due to pressure from Earthroots and other conservation groups and thousands of
letters from concerned individuals like yourself, Ministry of Natural
Resources, David Ramsay announced his intentions to permanently protect the
wolves in Algonquin Park on March 3rd 2004.

The Minister proposes to:

Ø Permanently ban the hunting and trapping of wolves and coyotes year-round in
the 39 townships surrounding Algonquin Provincial Park. (The inclusion of
coyotes in the regulation is essential to ensure the wolf killing prohibition
is enforced. This measure reduces the likelihood of accidental wolf kills as it
is difficult to distinguish between an Eastern Canadian wolf, a coyote and a
hybrid of the two).
Ø Ban the chasing of wolves or coyotes with dogs, both in the park and in
townships surrounding the park
Ø Add the Eastern Wolf to the new list of Species at Risk in Ontario as a
Species of Special Concern, which is consistent with its national designation
given by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC)
Ø Continue wolf research and monitoring to ensure the sustainability of the
wolves in and around Algonquin Park
Ø Develop a provincial wolf management strategy

*Landowners are still permitted to harass, capture or kill wolves or coyotes in
protection of their property and farm animals.

The Minister's proposal to protect Algonquin wolves is currently posted on the
Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR) Registry for a 30 days public comment
period. After which, the Minister will make an official decision.

Congratulate the Minister for making the right decision and show your support
for:
Ø A permanent ban on hunting and trapping wolves and coyotes and the setting of
snares in the 39 townships surrounding Algonquin Park
Ø A ban on chasing wolves and coyotes with dogs in and around the park.
Ø Adding the Eastern wolf to Ontario's List of Species at Risk

Ask the Minister to:
Ø Provide financial incentives to encourage farmers to use non-lethal control
measures to prevent livestock depredation
Ø Act quickly in implementing a provincial wolf management plan with strong
protection guidelines. (For more information, see Earthroots' Report "Ontario
Wolves Under Threat! The Call for a Provincial Wolf Protection Plan).

Letters can be sent by mail or fax to the Ministry of Natural Resources at:

Wildlife Section
MNR Fish and Wildlife Branch
5th Floor, North Tower, 300 Water Street
Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8M5
PHONE: (705) 755-1940 FAX: (705) 755-1900

Remember to include EBR Registry Number RB04E6007 so that your comments are
officially recorded.

Please also send Earthroots a copy of your letter to keep for our records.
Earthroots
401 Richmond St. W, Suite 401
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8
FAX: (416) 340-2429

To view the full posting on the Environmental Bill of Rights Registry, visit:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envregistry/022561er.htm

For more information about Algonquin wolves, visit www.wolvesontario.org
Support Earthroots' work to protect threatened wilderness
and wildlife by donating to Earthroots online at
http://www.wolvesontario.org/wolves/donate/

Share these emails with interested friends!

Wolves Ontario! Project is a campaign of Earthroots. For more
information about Earthroots' other campaigns please visit
http://www.earthroots.org or contact us at (416) 599-0152.

For more information about Earthroots' Wolves Ontario! Project
visit http://www.wolvesontario.org

To be removed from this mailing list, please go to:
http://www.wolvesontario.org/wolves/action/defenders.html?
matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
Wolves Ontario! A Project of Earthroots
401 Richmond St. West
Suite 410
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, M5V 3A8
phone: 416-599-0152
fax: 416-340-2429
http://www.wolvesontario.org
http://www.earthroots.org

5)

This is an interesting take on environmental health for anyone interested in
taking it. It can be taken as an undergraduate course if you get permission
from your program counsellor.

David Powell

Course Title:    SPECIAL TOPICS IN HIGHER EDUCATION  TPS 1820 HS1

ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH, TRANSFORMATIVE HIGHER
EDUCATION AND POLICY
CHANGE: EDUCATION FOR SOCIAL AND ECOSYSTEM HEALING

Course Length: Half course credit

Location:             OISE/UT Room TBA

Time: OISE/UT  May/June  2004
Mondays  and Wednesdays 5 - 8 PM (or possibly 5:30
to 8:30PM).

Coordinator: Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg, PhD, MES.

Calendar Description:

In this course, environmental health is framed as a field of research,
education, policy and advocacy endeavours that links the natural, health
and social sciences with the worlds of the academy, community, business,
economics, labour, governments and media. It includes physical, social,
cultural, economic, spiritual and societal power relationships which are
multi directional and interlinked with the health and well being of all
life. The course will help students to develop critical thinking,
investigative, analytical and practical skills to better understand the
constraints of scientific certainty and uncertainty in today's complex
world in order to address lifestyle as well as public policy changes. The
issues are framed within the broad socioenvironmental perspectives on
health promotion reflected in the goals of the Ottawa Charter for Health
Promotion - strengthening community action, developing personal skills,
creating supportive environments, helping in skills development to
educate, enable, mediate and advocate. This framework stresses social
issues in environmental health in contexts of gender, race, class,
ethnicity, age, poverty and other systems of oppresion.

This course counts as a Health Profession Credit in the Higher Education
Group M. Ed  Program

Please note that the course features important issues around children's
health and the environment, which relate to fetal and childhood
development. There is abundant evidence in the literature of of avoidable
conditions which have been identified - such as learning disabilities,
behavioural problems, attention deficit hyperactivty disorders,
neurological deficits etc. as well as the cancers. asthma, allergies etc.
related to environmental exposures at particular sensitive timing during
fetal development (Steingraber, 2002).

For more information, and  the full course outline please contact Dorothy
Goldin Rosenberg at  dgoldinrosenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
416 960 4944

Thanks
Ai-Ri Chung
Communications and Special Projects Coordinator
Ethical Review Departmental Coordinator
Theory and Policy Studies in Education
OISE/UT
Phone: 923-6641 x 2580