[ensu] 5 announcements

  • From: matt.niedzielski@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ensu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:59:35 -0500

1) IES seminar

2) environmental education

3) Greening the Ivory Towers project

4) Sustainable campuses conference - APPLY TODAY

5) Call for papers

1)

Institute for Environmental Studies
RESEARCH DAY

FRIDAY APRIL 16, 2004
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon followed by lunch
Room 113, Koffler Inst. for Pharmacy Management
569 Spadina Ave. (at Bancroft Ave.)
(west door is locked; please use east door)

See the web for a map (abstracts to be added):
http://www.utoronto.ca/env/seminars/2004ResearchDay.htm

Join us for a look at some of the research conducted by members of IES.
The event features presentations by faculty and graduate students and a
presentation of graduate students' awards.

No registration required; all are welcome.
For more information, please contact Mona El-Haddad
(416-978-6526; m.elhaddad@xxxxxxxxxxx)

SCHEDULE (subject to change):

9:00    Introduction and welcome by Rodney White, Director, IES

9:10
JING CHEN, Professor, Department of Geography
"Carbon sequestration in reforested areas in China"
(IES/Geography/Forestry project)

9:30
BRIAN MILANI, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Adult Education, Community
Development and Counselling Psychology/IES Environmental Studies
Program

"Building materials in a green economy: community-based strategies for
dematerialization"

9:50
SHEHRINA TABASSUM, M.Sc. Candidate, Institute of Medical Science/IES
Environment & Health Program
"Symptomatic responses in studies of controlled human exposures to
concentrated ambient fine particles (CAP) and/or ozone (O3)"

10:10
ERNEST OPOKU-BOATENG, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Geography/IES
Environmental Studies Program
"Urban environmental finance in Canada: an analysis of opportunities
and
barriers to action"

10:30   REFRESHMENT BREAK

10:50
ANTHONY LIU, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Physics/IES Environmental
Studies Program
"Impact of excessive rainfall on waterborne diseases in Southern
Ontario: the Walkerton case"

11:10
DAVID SIDER, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Geography/IES Environmental
Studies Program
Community-based urban environmental management: case study of
low-income
settlements in Delhi, India

11:30
LUCIANA SIVERTSON, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Anthropology/IES
Environmental Studies Program
"Multi level watershed management in the Sibun River Bio-Region,
Belize,
Central America: collaboration and challenges"

11:50   PRESENTATION OF GRADUATE STUDENTS' AWARDS

12:00 LUNCH

Sincerely,
Alison Neilson, OISE/UT PhD Candidate
Ontario Rep, Steering Committee
The Canadian Network of Environmental Education and Communication,
EECOM