[enableit] Why do we believe in electrons, but not in fairies?

  • From: Vimal Joseph <vimaljoseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: enableit <enableit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:52:30 +0530

Why do we believe in electrons, but not in fairies?

by Benjamin Kuipers

No one has directly observed either electrons or fairies. Both of them
are theoretical constructs, useful to explain observations that might be
difficult to explain otherwise. The "theory of fairies" can actually
explain more things than the "theory of electrons". So why do we believe
in electrons, but not in fairies?

Is the issue a political one, where the "electron" fans got the upper
hand in the nineteenth century, so by the twentieth century the "fairy"
fans were a scorned and persecuted minority? Or, have we proved for sure
that fairies don't exist?

Continue reading  @
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~kuipers/opinions/electrons-vs-fairies.html

Regards,