Re: two requests: output tabbar and history

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 17:21:15 +1000

On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:47:07 +1000
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:55:26 +0100
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 5/18/10, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > It's easy enough to detect scrolling (actually, converted to button 4..7
> > > press(es)). However what to do with it? We could pop up/down the list of
> > > history-items, but I see no real benefit in that. We can't access the
> > > treeview which shows the list, to manage a change of selection there.
> > >
> > I'm thinking of something similar to what I currently see in
> > file.owners. Strangely enough, since other similar input boxes do not
> > behave the same, using the scroll-wheel on the input box makes it
> > scroll the list of available owners. (In that particular dialogue,
> > actually a bug seems to be lurking: if you wheel-scroll on the second
> > input box, "cancel" is activated and the dialogue is closed.) Would it
> > be possible to make all such boxes behave the same, bar the bug of
>
> Strange indeed. There's nothing in emelfm2 which makes this happen. It looks
> to me like a gtk bug. At risk of getting too  technical, scroll-wheel
> movement improperly causes (among other things) an "activate" signal to be
> issued. Just like pressing <Enter>. In the user combo, that signal skips
> focus to group, and there, the activation closes the dialog and applies
> whatever is then current in the combos. Bad.
>
> I'll try to find a workaround.

It seems that active management of gtk's scroll-events blocks the inappropriate
behaviour to which I referred. So now, those events (typically, rotation of a
mouse-wheel) which happen in a combobox entry cause that entry's active (and
displayed) item to correspondingly move up or down the combobox history, if
any. If a <Ctrl> key is pressed at the time, it changes to the top or bottom of
the history. Note that the text shown in filelist comboboxes is not necessarily
in the corresponding history (if it is there, it will shown in colored text).
If not in the history, scrolling down will still work as described, but upward
has nowhere to go.

The change of active item does not activate the item, of course. For that you
still need to press <Enter>, or double-click in the entry, or click some
related button elsewhere in the UI.