Re: symlink copy/move behaviour

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:04:18 -0400

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:10:02 +0300
"Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/19/06, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
> > Felix <thetrivialstuff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > - right clicking multiple items and clicking info creates a barrage
> > > of info windows.
> > One at a time, in order of selected items. To abort the sequence, if so
> > desired, there is typically a dialog-window close box, you can always
> > do an <Esc> key-press or activate the Stop button or its corresponding
> > mnemonic key ...
> >
> > admittedly emelfm1 also has this problem, but somehow I'm
> > > not tempted to press the info button there... maybe because my brain
> > > goes "this is old software, remember the properties dialogue didn't
> > > work yet" in there, and "ok, they should've fixed that by *now*" in
> > > the new one? (I expect some kind of summary for all the items; if I
> > > select 50 files I expect to have to deal with one window, not 50.)
> > > )
> > Do you need to be told basic, lowest-common-denominator, stuff about
> > multiple items ?
>
> Maybe present information in one scrollable window, listed in order of
> selected items? With a summary of basic information as an introduction?

Really, a file info dialog is just a means to present details that are
unacceptably slow to discover for everything in a filelist. At the moment,
that's just the "type" data, but it could perhaps include an icon. A secondary
purpose is to show data which might be in a hidden column of the filelist.

So, at other extreme from where we are now, you could have another
filelist-type presentation, but with extra column(s). Too slow if the selection
is deliberately or accidentally big. (I saw a report about a previous nautilus
version taking _minutes_ to create a filelist with icons, when the dir is big.
Leaving aside nautilus lethargy, the blame was ascribed largely to the icons.)

Or somewhere in the middle?  Where?