Re: still crashes on file deletion?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:52:25 +1000

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 21:51:06 -0400
Fernando Ossandon <ferossan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tom, I'm experiencing the same random crashes (and same output):
> emelfm2: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
> :0.0.
> I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and the following:
>
> libgtk2.0-0    2.16.1-0ubuntu2
> xorg    1:7.4~5ubuntu18
> gcc    4:4.3.3-1ubuntu1
>
> Maybe worth to mention that it crash not just deleting files, also in simple
> tasks like viewing a text file or trying to edit it (right click menu).
> It is quite frustrating not be able to use a great application like this
> one.
> If I can help debugging, please let me know how.

Yes please. I'm still trying to work out what's going wrong, as I get no such
bad behaviour.

Is the problem always related to something involving some file(s) as well as a
separate (dialog) window (e.g. confirm, rename, view) ?

If a new window is involved, precisely when does it crash - before window
opens, or when it's closing ?

Does it matter how such window is closed - window-title click vs "do it" button
vs "cancel" button ?

Does it matter how the action is initiated e.g. key-binding vs menu-item vs
button-click ?

What sort of file-alteration-checking is used - default (periodic polling) or
inotify etc ?

Building emelFM2 with DEBUG=1 and running via terminal may produce some useful
message(s), but a debug-build also alters code-optimisation and timing of
things, the latter of which may well be the ultimate problem. A less-disruptive
approach is to edit emelfm2.h and uncomment the line (at about 160)
//#define DEBUG_MESSAGES_ALWAYS
before rebuilding