Re: some automated way to configure apps using Dnd'ed .desktop files

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:51:20 +1000

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:39:24 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:51 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The process for populating the context-menu item file.<actions> includes a
> > scan for things in suitable .desktop file(s). So it's dynamic, no need for
> > a static setup.
> >
> I'm afraid I don't follow. Here file.<actions> contains the list of
> apps that were pre-configured/manually configured to be used with a
> file type. I never noticed that this menu was generated dynamically.

As well as data from filetypes configuration,
e2_context_menu_create_desktop_actions_menu() is used during population of
filelist and output context-menus.

However I seem to recall that the content of .desktop files is not always as
useful as might be desired, relying on a matching mimetype.

It's a long time since it was evaluated to see whether it still works
satisfactorily.

> For example, on a fresh emel install for .png files I get: gview,
> geeqie, viewnior, gimp, inkscape, xv; however, I don't have gview,
> geeqie, viewnior or xv installed. I only ahve inkscape and gimp, while
> for viewing images I use either Mirage or Ristretto, both installed.
> As far as I can see, this is static.
>
> But even if this were dynamic, it wouldn't address populating toolbar
> items.

Indeed, this is a manual process, except for dragging or pasting data from the
same, or an identical, data context.

 Say, I would like to add Synaptic to the Command toolbar.
> Currently, I need to manually enter the label, find the path to the
> icon, enter tooltip text, the enter the name of the binary and,
> eventually, some arguments. If emel understood DnD'ed *.desktop files,
> it would have sufficed to drop the synaptic.desktop file in the config
> dialogue, and emel would automagically fill in the details.
>
> Let me know if I am too cryptic.

I'm loathe to mess with the existing DnD arrangements for config dialog
treeviews. They're set up for the so-called "high level interface" which IIRC
does not provide much flexibility, and operates the same for all such treeviews
i.e. no scope for tailoring data to particular page(s).