some automated way to configure apps using Dnd'ed .desktop files

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:10:52 +0300

Hello Tom
I always liked emel's flexibility regarding filetypes and toolbar
elements, and always disliked the time-consuming process of
configuration. Some way of automating this would be practical.

emel could recognise DnD'ed *.desktop files and automagically fill in
the app info. I am thinking of Filetypes and Context Menu, in Config.
When a *.desktop file is dropped onto some filetype, emel could take
the name of the app and the command name and create a new
entry/reconfigure an existing one either in Filetypes or in the
Context menu. In the latter case, emel could also configure the icon.

This is inspired from Xfce. Prior to 4.4 all panel items had to be
configured manually. Beginning with 4.6 an DnD mechanism was
implemented, and it is now sufficient to DnD a .desktop file either
from xfce4-appfinder [1], Thunar or emelFM2. I think it would be great
if emel supported a similar mechanism.

Please let me know what you think. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.xfce.org/projects/xfce4-appfinder

--
Do you know how to read?