Re: problem with nfs

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:17:16 +1000

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:11:19 +0200
Atman Sense <mattenklicker@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> if a nfs-mounted directory is open and the network link crashes,
> emelfm2 hangs forever. Probably this has nothing to do with e2, a shell
> will hang, too.
> Tested with latest svn (revision 509)
> Steps to reproduce:
>   * Go into a nfs-mounted directory (In this case nfs4,
> i think that doesn't matter)
>   * Stop the network link.
>   * Wait a few seconds
> e2 won't be responsive anymore, needs a signal -9 to end.
>
> Perhaps this is a nfs(4)-related problem or a problem related to my
> distribution (gentoo). Sometimes my computer doesn't shut down,
> because, I guess, a broken nfs-mount blocks something and the init

Atman, I'm afraid I know nil about nfs.

I think the only automatic interaction between e2 and the filesystem is the
"alteration-monitoring". And that has a period of a few seconds, consistent
with your symptoms. If you don't use one of the kernel-related mechanisms (FAM,
inotify etc) the default process is just a couple of glibc function-calls:
access() (is the dir readable) and stat() (when was it last changed), then go
back to sleep, so to speak. It almost sounds like one or both of those calls
must be the hanger. In which case, I can't think of any workaround.

I'll think some more about the more-sophisticated monitors, if that's what you
use. If you know of any good docs about managing nfs mounts, let us know.