Re: panes.refresh doesn't work

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:17:32 +1100

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:43:51 +0100
Joe Koenig <joe.koenig@xxxxxx> wrote:

> the "panes.refresh" function doesn't seem to work.  This applies to the
> auto-refresh as well as the refresh-button.
>
> It seems to depend on the number of items contained in a pane.  It works
> for up to 49 files/folders in a pane.  When there are 50 or more items in
> a pane, the only way to get a refresh is switching back and forth
> between directories.
>
> It applies to creating, deleting and renaming files/directories, no
> matter whether it's being performed from within emelfm2 or from without.
> Only exception: creating new directories via the "Create new directory"
> button.  With that, a refresh is being induced.
>
> I've tested this with the version provided by my distro (ArchLinux)
>     emelFM2 v. 0.8.0
>     Build platform: GTK+ 2.24.10 Linux 3.2.6-1-ARCH/i686
>
> and a plain stock source compile:
>     emelFM2 v. 0.8.0
>     Build platform: GTK+ 3.2.3 Linux 3.2.8-1-ARCH/i686
>
> Nota bene: I had to add "lLIBS += -lm -ldl" to the Makefile, in order for
> it to compile successfully.

Thanks for the feedback, Joe.

I know almost nothing about how arch works, but looking at

http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/emelfm2

I see

 make PREFIX=/usr

which will build only the 'default' file-alteration monitoring. That merely
polls for changes of mtime and/or ctime of displayed directories. So far, I
can't see anything in the code for that process which would be affected by the
number of items in the directory. Further investigation to come.

If you haven't done so already, can you personally build with

 make KERNELFAM=1 [relevant others .....]

and if so, does that make a difference ?

Can you build using some or all of svn code ? In particular,

 .../src/filesystem/e2_fs.h
 .../src/filesystem/e2_fs_FAM.c
 .../src/filesystem/e2_fs_FAM_inotify.c

which have been updated since 0.8.0. Using those, we at least have a common
basis for investigating in detail.

A while back, Liviu reported intermittent lack-of-refresh, but I wasn't able to
get to the bottom of it. Maybe now is the moment.

The lLIBS change which you described seems to be needed only for arch, but does
no harm for others, and is already in svn Makefile.