Re: new pre-release: 20040608

  • From: tooar <tooar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:41:48 +0200

A L wrote on Wed, 09.06.2004:
> >From: tooar <tooar@xxxxxxx>
> >hello!
> >dsyates wrote on Mon, 07.06.2004:
> > > Great work as always tooar!
> > > Don't know why but this release feels snappier.
> > > btw, do u know why the icon isn't showing up in the fedora core 2
> > > menu? The program entry is there just no icon.
> > > Again fantastic work. You make my linux-ing more enjoyable!!
> >
> >hmm, well, the menu file (emelfm2.desktop) is in
> >docs/desktop-environment. what's wrong with the icon name? i've
> >tested it on kde and it works well over here.
>
> Well the icon-path in the emelfm2.desktop (in
> /usr/local/share/applications/emelfm2) has an relative path:
> emelfm2/icon_emelfm2_064.png. Does gnome or kde automatically search
> in the pixmaps dir? Maybe the /usr/local/share/pixmaps/ dir isn't
> included in the search-path. (That's wat I make of it) I wouldn't have
> the slightest idea where this can be changed

well, by default (see Makefile.config) the icons are installed to

$(PREFIX)/share/pixmaps/emelfm2/

and the desktop integration files are installed to

$(PREFIX)/share/applications

if gnome or kde or whatever searches in $(PREFIX)/share/applications
for .desktop files, it should also search in
$(PREFIX)/share/pixmaps/emelfm2/ for icons.

the only way around this would be to generate the .desktop file when
building e2 so i can include the correct prefix and then use an absolute
path.

maybe it's the best to leave desktop integration up to package
maintainers for the different distributions because they probably know
best where to install the menu files and stuff like this. eg, take
debian, it doesn't need these files because they have their very own
system to generate desktop integration files for packages.

regards,

        tooar

--
WARNING