Re: long term planning

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:49:25 +1000

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 07:45:36 +1000
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:49:49 +0200
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I've seen some comment to the effect that efl is not thread-safe.
> > >
> > What do you mean by this?
>
> In efl's specific case, I can't be sure.

Well, I can a bit, if I take time to read the original documentation ...

"The EFL is, for the most part, not thread safe. This means that if you have
some task running in another thread and you have, for example, an Evas object
to show the status progress of this task, you cannot update the object from
within the thread. This can only be done from the main thread, the one running
the main loop. This problem can be solved by running a thread that sends
messages to the main one using an Ecore_Pipe, but when you need to handle other
things like cancelling the thread, your code grows in complexity and gets much
harder to maintain.

Ecore Thread is here to solve that problem."

So, at least they provide off-the-shelf solution.