Re: key bindings for bookmarks / output panel

  • From: kba <unixprog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:04:45 +0100

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:20:08PM +1100, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:41:38 +0100
> kba <unixprog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > However, I don't like to use the mouse and tried to bind some
> > functionality to keys - without success.
> >
> > 1) Bookmarks
> > Wanted Behaviour: Press a key and the bookmark menu pops up or the
> > button in the dirline bar gets activated
> >
> > My current workaround is to press the 'menu' key, then 'b'.
>
> ATM there is no way to bind a key to a <submenu> type of action. If
> the bar is showing labels, then respective button mnemonics are
> supposed to work, but I see that this needs fixing (now done), and
> even after that, is still weird for popup menus (menu shows only if
> mnemonic key is held down long enough for 2 or 3 auto-repeats). Maybe
> some workaround can be found.

Great! I don't really mind the lag until the menu shows up. Now that the
buttons can be selected by their mnemonics, I don't see a need for the
ability to bind <submenu>-actions to keys, it is even better if the menu
is opened from a button, that makes obvious where the menu will appear.

BTW: While the mnemonics didn't work on the toolbars until now, they
*do* work in the key binding configuration. This can lead to some
weirdness, as one can't map keys to Alt-H/U/D/A/C/R/F/B/T from the GUI,
as that triggers the respective buttons. One has to enter them directly
in the configuration file. Not a real problem, just a bit long-winded
and possibly annoying for the casual user.

> > 2) Toggle Output Window
> > Wanted Behaviour: Press a key to show/hide output (like pressing the
> > button in the lower left corner)

> Bind some key to
> !output.adjust_ratio *,1
> OR
> output.adjust_ratio '*,1'

That's just what I wanted :-) Thank you!

> (Both of these prevent the '*' from being interpreted as a list of files.)
>
> BTW, the arguments given to output.adjust_ratio and panes.adjust_ratio
> are not working too well, and things need to be changed to get it all
> working as described in the ACTIONS document. I aim to do this before
> next release.

IMHO, I like the way it works now :-) I would find it useful though to
explain the '*,1'-style notation in the ACTIONS doc, it isn't really
obvious what this does, at least not to me. And it's a great feature!
Especially in combination with the flexibility emelfm2 offers concerning
pane orientation and toolbar placement, that sets emelfm2 apart from
other OFMs.

Again: Thank you very much for the effort, shalom
kba