Re: kernel 2.6.31-rc8, inotify

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:43:07 +1000

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:28:38 -0400
Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:55:01 -0400,
> Charles A Edwards <eslrahc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:27:48 -0400
> > Grégory SCHMITT wrote:
> >
> > > I've switched today to the latest rc of the kernel (2.6.31-rc8) and
> > > I have noticed that the new mechanisms of kernel FAM / inotify seem
> > > to break emelFM2 internal mechanism of refreshing panels.
> >
> > I'm also running rc8 and see no such issue.
> >
> > Which build option are you passing and which version of E2
> >
> > WITH_KERNELFAM ?= ??
> > USE_INOTIFY ?=    ??
> > USE_FAM ?=        ??
> >
> > I use
> > USE_INOTIFY ?= 1 and emelfm2-0.6.2cvs1825
>
> Sorry, I forgot that information.
>
> So, I'm running
> - Debian Lenny 5.0
> - kernel 2.6.31-rc8, inotify enabled, dnotify disable
> - emelFM2 0.6.2 (later upgrades don't seem to bring any inotify
> change); tried KERNELFAM=1 (which automatically enables INOTIFY), and
> INOTIFY=1 withouth kernel FAM.
> - not running any other file alteration monitors (gamin, fam daemon,
> etc.)

IIRC, linux-kernel devs are fiddling around with something called 'fanotify'
but I didn't bother to look into its details, I'm waiting until it stabilises.
I'd hope that current inotify API is not broken, though.

I won't use that kernel until it stabilises, so I can't yet investigate the
problem, anyway.