Re: generic command monitor plug-in?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:28:09 +1000

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:24:59 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have this idea for a generic monitor plug-in. For example, there is
> 'watch' (part of procps) which takes a command and displays its output
> at regular intervals. You can try
> watch df
>
> Another similar app is the xfce4-genmon [1], which provides a 'status
> area' on the Xfce panel, to monitor a command. I was thinking that
> emel could do something similar, for example by reserving a part of
> the output pane to display the output of a command or by providing a
> small new 'status' window resized to the dimensions of the output.
>
> Please let me know what you think. Regards

I understand the purpose of these to be to run something repeatedly, with some
predefined interval between times.

I'm wondering
 - how relevant would that sort of thing be to our context i.e. file-management
during a non-persistent application-session ?
 - can that sort of thing be achieved by simply running one of those existing
things from within e2 ?

Thoughts ?