Re: focus commandline instead incremental find

  • From: kba <unixprog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:35:13 +0100

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:20:37PM +1100, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:10:37 +0100
> kba <unixprog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:35:12PM +1100, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > Not without re-coding.
> >
> > Okay, I guess Ctrl-Z isn't that hard to memorize. Thanks anyway.
>
> Yah, we've tried to always stick to the approach "select then do" - in
> this case, focus command line then type. It would be a bit contrary to
> "select then do somewhere else" even if you were sure of (i.e.
> hardcode) what the "else" is.

I'm not sure if I understand this. To select consecutive files, I use
Shift-Up/Shift-Down, to select arbitrary files
Ctrl-Space/Ctrl-Up/Ctrl-Down. All the key bindings use modifier keys.
Now, if I press a key without a modifier key, the find-as-you-type
textbox appears and my selection is gone. For me "select then do" means:
I select some files, then execute a command on them. But that might be
due to the fact that I constantly switch between midnight commander on
remote hosts and emelfm2 on my desktop.

shalom,
kba