filelist - sort order

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:53:45 -0400

Hello,

I was wondering why the sorting order of items in a pane is sometimes
different from an app to another.

For example, I have the following files in a folder. emelFM2 (and ls
-1) will give this output:

Gregory SCHMITT - resume.doc
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.doc
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.odt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.pdf
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.txt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.odt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.pdf
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.txt

On the other hand, a file selection dialog, or mc will give

Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.doc
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.odt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.pdf
Gregory SCHMITT - resume - hospitality.txt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.doc
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.odt
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.pdf
Gregory SCHMITT - resume.txt

which, IMHO, makes more sense. Is it just a case of ignoring the file
extension first, and then sorting with the extension included or is it
something more complex?

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>