Re: executable items are automatically unselected

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:43:19 +0200

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only candidate I can think of for changing a selection (other than the
> user, of course) is filelist refreshing. However that involves logging the
> selected items, and reinstating their selection after the view is refreshed,

Likely this is what fails in some cases.

> so there will appear to be no change. And that has worked happily for ages.
>
> So here's the question: why does the process not work for you, for one
> particular type of file?

Well, I'm getting similar behaviour in other contexts, not reported
because I couldn't find any definite recipe to replicate. For example,
I often get deselection when I:
- select a file
- view it via F3
- ~1sec after the View window pops up, in the background the item
previously opened will get de-selected
- it doesn't matter if the file is executable or not, and I'm pretty
sure this deselection is accompanied by an automatic refresh

I tried to shoot a video of the above, but no luck getting it on camera.

> I can't see anything to answer this, in the supplied log.

Is it possible to increase the verboseness of the log mechanism, so
that I could test using a custom build?

> For now, can you check and report what happens to the selection if several
> similar items are selected when you pop up a context menu. Say, those various
> compiz-related items shown in the .ogg file.
>
> And ditto for several items selected, of which > 1 but not all are executable
> scripts.

When selecting two non-executables all is as expected. But I do get an
interesting pattern when selecting several mixed (or only exec files)
files.

It seems that the exec item that gets deselected is always the one
that has been right-clicked upon. See video [1] and attached log. I
suspect that emel somehow logs a 'right-click' as a 'deselect' action,
and when reinstating the selected items after an automatic refresh the
one that was right-clicked is reinstated as deselected.

Liviu

[1] http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=57016188077429078740