Re: emelfM2 pre-release available

  • From: "Jonathan A. Irwin" <jnthn_gmane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:59:17 -0500

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:44:21 -0500
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I found this:
>
>  ... the linux kernel that I have to use (2.4.21 patched to death)
>  doesn't support the option WCONTINUED for syscall waitpid ... The new
>  glibc-2.3.5 I just got installed doesn't care about this though.
>
> So it seems there may be a disconnect between kernel and glibc.

Don't know. FWIW, my system (Slackware 10.2) was built against kernel 2.4.31,
according to /usr/include/linux/version.h.

> With this in mind, I've updated the command execution code in svn.
> Perhaps you might give that a try.

No good, here. I get:

[DEBUG ] e2_command_run (command:mplayer,range:2)
[DEBUG ] e2_alias_sync (rt:)
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] match alias for mplayer
[DEBUG ] e2_task_set_data (pid:0,mode:0,command:mplayer
"AnimusicAcousticCurves.avi",exit:134603944)
[DEBUG ] asynchronously run command mplayer "AnimusicAcousticCurves.avi"
[DEBUG ] child output fd = 12, child error fd = 14, max monitorable fd = 1024
[DEBUG ] destroy_menu_cb
[DEBUG ] re-checking after waitpid parameter error
[DEBUG ] ending after waitpid error (No child processes)
[DEBUG ] e2_action_run (from:, rt:children.<menu>)
[DEBUG ] e2_action_run () ends
[DEBUG ] e2_action_run (from:, rt:command.quit)
[DEBUG ] write config file: /tmp/emelfm2-svn-190/config/config-en_US
[DEBUG ] write cache file: /tmp/emelfm2-svn-190/config/cache
[DEBUG ] touch config dir

Not sure what "No child processes" means, but the mplayer process does
show up in children.<menu>. I still get no video output though. :( Oddly
enough, ffplay (also a command line video player) works fine.

> After closing an e2 session, any continuing child process has no
> stdin, stdout or stderr capability, and redundant open pipes will be
> lying around ...

Yes... I did think of the fact that apps run "attached" to the e2
terminal. The terminal pane is also present in the original emelfm,
however, and it allows running processes to continue on exit. <shrug>

I wonder how graphical launchers, such as the root menu in WindowMaker
handle applications' output. Somehow the apps launched from the WM root
menu seem to be attached to the console from which X was started. I
think that might be a neat capability for e2 to have, but it might
be an unreasonable thing to wish for.

> Continuation could be made optional, generally and/or session-specific.

Any way at all would make me happy, as long as it's available. :)

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan A. Irwin