Re: emelfM2 pre-release available

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:46:49 -0500

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:19:16 -0500
"Jonathan A. Irwin" <jnthn_gmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Couple of problems here. Maybe two symptoms of the same problem?
>
> For one... I can no longer get videos to play with mplayer.
>
> For instance, I have:
>
> mplayer -quiet %f
>
> as the default action for video files. WHen a video is double clicked,
> e2 reports in the output pane that the action has executed, but there
> is not the usual informational output from mplayer, and the video never
> starts playing.
>
> A quick ps ax, shows:
>
> 18296 ?        Z      0:00 [mplayer] <defunct>
>
> And debug output says:
>
> [DEBUG ] child output fd = 12, child error fd = 14, max monitorable fd = 1024
> [DEBUG ] ending after waitpid returned ERROR -1, with errno 22
> [DEBUG ] Unknown process (-1) completion report !!
This is going to get a bit technical, I'm afraid ...

A [g]libc function call:

    endpid = waitpid (-pid, &exitstatus, WNOHANG
  #ifdef WCONTINUED
        | WCONTINUED
  #endif
   | WUNTRACED);

is unexpectedly reporting an error. It (22 == EINVAL) is indicating that one or
more of the W* parameters is invalid. That's interesting, as the same function
was used in a similar way in prior versions (except that the arguments had -1
instead of -pid).

First, can you check for anything informative about waitpid() for your specific
glibc ?

> What's worse... apparently I can no longer quit e2 without killing child
> processes. For example, my image viewer... when I double click an image
> file, the image is opened in gqview. In e2 0.3.1, if I then quit e2, the
> gqview instance remains running, in the new prerelase, if I quit ew2, it
> takes gqview down with it. :(
That's a deliberate change. Not for any compelling reason, but to make commands
consistent with actions (which must be cancelled  when a session ends) and a
probably-mistaken concern about managing zombie processes. It could readily be
reversed.

Leaving aside any surprise about the change, I wonder which is the "proper" way
to handle this ?