Re: emefm2 with 64 bit hardy

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:28:23 +1000

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:25:19 +0100 (IST)
"Sadako" <sadako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I used to get the same thing on x86_64 gentoo, but seemed to have been
> > resolved with 0.4.
> >
> > However, I am now experiencing the exact same thing with 0.4.1, albiet on
> > an x86 system using uclibc rather than glibc (can you say "unsupported"?
> > ;) ).
> >
> > It _always_ happens when going to the root directory with either the 'up'
> > or 'back' buttons, and it _also_ happens from the command bar when you use
> > `cd ../` to get to the root directory, and even happens with just `cd /`,
> > so the issue seems to be changeing to the root directory itself...
>
> I meant to include this first time around, the actual segfault message in
> dmesg is "emelfm2[14444]: segfault at c ip dce880e1 sp f39ffc94 error 4 in
> libpthread-0.9.28.so[dce7f000+a000]", if that's of any help.
>
> I tried running emelfm2 within gdb, but the UI was completely
> non-responsive, so couldn't do anything.
> Seems to work fine in gdb on my normal install, so probably a uclibc issue
> (plus the fact that I don't know what I'm doing...).
>
> Here's the output I get with emelfm2 compiled with DEBUG=5;
>
> [DEBUG ] e2_action_run (from:, rt:pane1.go_up)
> [DEBUG ] _e2_pane_change_dir (rt:,path:"..",update:1,hook:1)
> [DEBUG ] e2_action_run () ends
> [DEBUG ] managing cd to /
> [DEBUG ] shut down a cd-timer for this pane
> [NOTICE] Changing active pane to /
> [DEBUG ] change-dir-thread (ID=18434) started
> [DEBUG ] _e2_fileview_change_dir: /
> [DEBUG ] current directory data loaded
> [DEBUG ] setup to clear stores later
> [NOTICE] e2_combobox_activated_cb
> [DEBUG ] e2_combobox_set_active: 0
> Segmentation fault
>
> When you change directory without it crashing (ie anything other than /),
> the following two lines typically follow the "e2_combobox_set_active"
>
> [DEBUG ] _e2_fileview_change_dir ends
> [DEBUG ] 1 old liststore(s) cleared

This gives some clues, but sadly, not enough. There's too much that happens
between the messages
[DEBUG ] e2_combobox_set_active: 0
and
[DEBUG ] _e2_fileview_change_dir ends

I don't get the same crash here. So I've looked at and stepped through the
relevant code a bit, but can't see where a problem might be. And also, my code
is now a bit different from the last release.

Do you get a core-dump which can be opened with gdb to do a backtrace ?

Otherwise, must resort to trial and error, sprinkling more error-messages
around to find where the crash happens.