e2 pre-release time again, folks

  • From: tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:48:11 -0400

There's a new emelfm2 pre-release for your evaluation at
 http://emelfm2.net/DownLoads

Some user-visible changes, some infrastructure changes, and bugfixes.
Changelog at http://emelfm2.net/ChangeLog.

The biggest single change is to make all operations on selected items
(so-called "file operations") happen in a separate thread, asynchronously. Most
of those operations (except info, view(again), edit(again), open(with)) are
actually placed into a queue, and executed from there. This is another step
towards future support for "slow" operations like ftp. This  change also
provides the main risk of bad behaviour - not a risk to your files (the backend
functionality is essentially the same) but risk of UI freeze. I'm particularly
interested to hear from those of you with multi-CPU/core hardware, which
conceivably might handle some things in a different order, causing such freezes.

Now that we have a queue, we also have actions and bindings to list history and
waiting items. These complement the (running) children list.

Our valiant tester Liviu has recently reported some poor behaviour, which I
cannot replicate nor track down, so any advice on the following will also be
most welcome:

1. Sometimes screen freezes when unrecognised filetype dialog is shown.
2. Editing an item with the internal editor as super(root) user causes a freeze.
3. Sometimes selecting text in the internal viewer freezes temporarily.
4. Running the disk-usage plugin (file.du action) on a symlink can cause a
freeze.
5. Sometimes opening an item (file.open action) does not work.
6. When in a re-visited directory, pressing an arrow key to move the focus in a
filelist can move to the wrong line.