Re: dynamically resize Filename width on "hide other pane"

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:17:37 +0100

On 5/24/10, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Two things can be done:
>  1. make any column automatically resize itself to fit its longest content.
> This is described (by gtk itself) as inefficient for large views, and prone
> to make columns appear 'choppy' (whatever that is?).

Perhaps implement this as an option to see if there are significant
decreases in performance?

>  2. allocate unused width in the window to any column(s). This has unpleasant
> side-effects when the window is made smaller i.e. those columns are the first
> ones to be hidden.

I think this might just address my original concern, as long as the
columns are always kept at a constant ratio. When the other pane is
hidden and more width becomes available, Filename will get enlarged
more than others. At the same time, when the second pane is restored,
the columns will regain their original widths. Again, it might make
sense to keep this optional, for users who prefer the static
behaviour.

Regards
Liviu