Re: dynamically resize Filename width on "hide other pane"

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:10:55 +1000

On Sun, 23 May 2010 20:44:07 +0100
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am using the "hide other pane" button to maximise the active pane,
> but ultimately to free screen space for the Filename in order to view
> very-long-filenames.ext in full. However, when I "hide other pane" all
> the columns stay static, so that longer file names are still not seen
> in full. On "hide other pane" would it be reasonable/feasible to
> dynamically resize the first column/Filename so that the edge of the
> last column borders the right-hand pane edge? Then on "show other
> pane" the the first column/Filename width would be restored.

Two things can be done:
1. make any column automatically resize itself to fit its longest content. This
is described (by gtk itself) as inefficient for large views, and prone to make
columns appear 'choppy' (whatever that is?).
2. allocate unused width in the window to any column(s). This has unpleasant
side-effects when the window is made smaller i.e. those columns are the first
ones to be hidden.