Re: a minor bug

  • From: chris dunn <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:42:27 -0500

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:15:14 +1100
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:17:44 -0500
> chris dunn <chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for Emelfm2. It is an excellent file manager, the best I've
> > been able to find, and I've tried many.
> >
> > Homage to all who have contributed to it.
> >
> > I'd like to report a minor annoyance.
> >
> > If I have Emelfm2 open to a directory that contains a lot of, for
> > instance .msg files, and I then go to a term window and delete all
> > the .msg files from the directory, Emelfm2 silently withdraws into
> > it's shell (closes), and I have to re-open the app in order to
> > continue using it.
> >
> > Maybe this is expected behaviour,
>
> Definitely not!
>
> Sofar, I've not been able to replicate this behaviour here, so we can
> only try to figure it out the hard way, with some detective work ...
>
> 1. what version of emelFM2 are you running?

0.4.1

> 2. did you build & install it yourself from sources?

installed it from the Ubuntu current repository.

> 3A. if so, what were the 'make' parameters (if any) supplied when
> building? OR
> 3B. if not, can you find out and report what 'make' parameters were
> used to build the version you've installed?

not sure how to approach this.

> 4. what is 'a lot' in this context ?

will advise, if and when I achieve a crash

> 5. does it make a difference if only a small number of files are
> involved?

ditto

> 6. after successful completion of the external delete command, the
> directory contained A. other item(s) - files and/or subdirs, visible
> and/or hidden? B. only hidden item(s)?
>  C. nothing at all? (i.e. the deleted files were the only items in
> the directory)

ditto

> 7. do your filelists show a ".." item?

yes. see below.

> 8. was any filelist filtering active?

no

> 9. does it make a difference whether the files to be deleted are
> displayed in the active pane, or inactive pane, or in both ?

will advise, if and when I achieve a crash

> 10. does it make a difference whether any of the files to be deleted
> is/are selected in the relevant pane(s) before running the external
> delete command?

ditto

> Regards
> Tom

Tom,

Thanks.

As a starter I had an opportunity this morning to delete some files of
the type that had been creating the problem for me. I followed the gdb
procedure suggested by Liviu, and emelfm2 survived unscathed. For what
it may be worth I followed the following procedure with the results
listed.

1. closed emelfm2

2. opened emelfm2 via term with
gdb emelfm2
run

3. in the running emelfm2 focussed the directory where the files were
to be deleted.

4. in a term did "rm *.msg"
a typical file name was :
%25N19p.628943$Ua4.588607@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5. no adverse effect on running emelfm2.

6. at this point I thought gdb had frozen in the term with :
[New Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7890)]
[New Thread 0xb3a05b70 (LWP 7891)]
[Thread 0xb3a05b70 (LWP 7891) exited]
[Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7890) exited]
[New Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7895)]
[Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7895) exited]
[New Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7917)]
[Thread 0xb4206b70 (LWP 7917) exited]

7. so did a ^c to get out of gdb which gave me back a command prompt
where I entered "bt" and received :
#0  0x0012e416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x00abedf6 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x00962a1b in g_poll () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x0095543c in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#4  0x00955ba7 in g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0x0025e1d9 in gtk_main () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#6  0x08072298 in main ()

None of the above seems likely to have advanced anything. so will try
again when another opportunity to delete some files occurs, and will
report back.

I've inserted under your questions above, the answers that I have at
present. The chance to delete files in this fashion only arises
periodically (I would normally delete with emelfm2) so will try to
record all the information that you've requested before deleting, so
that in the event of a crash I will have your answers.

Thanks for the interest.

--

Chris Dunn