Re: a minor bug

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:52:19 +0100

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM, chris dunn <chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:39:35 +0100
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM, chris dunn <chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Thanks for Emelfm2. It is an excellent file manager, the best I've
>> > been able to find, and I've tried many.
>> >
>> This is currently my pet obsession, please add your "like" on
>> alternativeto [1]. :)
>>
>> [1] http://alternativeto.net/software/emelfm2/
>>

> OK. I've done that. I've tried most of the others listed there too, and
> few of them come anywhere close to Emelfm2.

Great, thanks. From that list Thunar stands up, too, but it's not a
direct competitor to emelFM2.

>> > Homage to all who have contributed to it.
>> >
>> > I'd like to report a minor annoyance.
>> >
>> > If I have Emelfm2 open to a directory that contains a lot of, for
>> > instance .msg files, and I then go to a term window and delete all
>> > the .msg files from the directory, Emelfm2 silently withdraws into
>> > it's shell (closes),
>> >
>> I'm not sure that I understand. You delete all files in a dir (which
>> is currently active in emelFM2) using an xterm, and then emel crashes?
>> This seems strange. Could you provide the debug messages?
>
> Exactly that. Please tell me where to find the debug messages.

You would need to set
DEBUG ?= 1

in Makefile.config and recompile. Then open xterm, run
emelfm2 -d 5

and it should give you basic debug messages. To offer something more
useful, in xterm run
gdb emelfm2

and then type
run

Now recreate the crash and after emel freezes within gdb, in xterm type
bt

which should give useful debug messages. Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm