Re: Vim key bindings?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:20:06 +1100

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:58:21 +0100
Eyolf Østrem <eyolf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > 3. I'm aware of the problem that using unmodified characters creates for
> > > the quicksearch box. Is there a way to activate it so that I could type,
> > > e.g., <space> and get to the box so that the vim keys would be overridden?
> >
> > There's no mechanism to temporarily 'ignore' any/all binding(s). I guess
> > it would be tricky to decide when to cease such ignoring, when a
> > 'type-ahead' search is fairly liberal about what it will respond to, and
> > when so.
>
> What I mean is: as it is now, type-ahead search is initiated with any
> standard keyboard input, right? (i.e. without ctrl/alt modifiers). What
> about an action to start that only with a certain key (say, <space>)? That
> would in fact 'ignore' the normal bindings, at least it does now.

Type-ahead searching is handled by gtk. Such searching is merely enabled or not.

I'd forgotten- if not enabled, a search may still be initiated by <Ctrl>f or
<Ctrl>F - that's a hard-coded gtk binding. So, instead of ignoring bindings to
allow a search to begin, you could disable searching. You'd need to add
 gtk_tree_view_set_enable_search (GTK_TREE_VIEW (tvw), FALSE);
into function e2_fileview_create_list(), say, at line 4800 of e2_fileview.c.

Then make sure that <Ctrl>f is not bound to anything else.