Re: Request for feedback - filesystem name encoding

  • From: tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:40:24 +1000

Thanks, Denis

> > Do you or does anyone you know use a non-english locale (e.g.
> > environment variable LANG or LANGUAGE is not en_*) but only ever use
> > ascii chars (!-~ or 0x21-0x7e) in all file paths and names?
> >

> I finally decided to use only ascii chars because, for some
> reasons, I had to switch from ISO8859-15 to UTF-8 and back, and I met
> problems with accented characters in some applications. But I think
> all applications should be able to deal transparently with both
> encoding. (if it's possible, what I don't know !)

That's my aim, and I'm looking for a way to do it as fast as possible, i.e.
without conversion unless necessary.

My current thought is that unless the locale specifies UTF-8 or en_*, or a
startup-command switch specifies utf-8 or ascii, then coding conversion will
have to be used because the app. can't decide whether accented-etc chars will
actually be used (unless it _slowly_ checks each file/path string, no thanks...)