Re: RELEASE emelFM2 0.4

  • From: dsyates <dsyates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:05:17 -0400

tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:37:25 -0400
dsyates <dsyates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was wrong, this error is only occurring for me when trying to view the emelfm2 CREDITS page (UTF-8) not when viewing the README file (ASCII).

Ah yes, a couple of our friends have names that normally include non-ascii
characters.

Which raises a couple of issues:

 * we probably should not distribute a doc that's non-ascii, to avoid glitches
such as yours (here, with a non-ascii locale, the file displays with a few
garbage characters but no error)
 * may be worth reconsidering the whole encoding 'protocol' for e2 i.e. don't
trust what the locale says, instead, check every file

I noted Liviu's comment about other encoding problems, which need to be
explored at least (some things are just too hard to fix e.g. files with mixed
encodings)

In the meantime, can you live with current arrangements for a while ? Or do we
need to rush a fix of some sort ?

I can live with it to be sure! No rush here.

--
David S. Yates
webpage: http://lottalinuxlinks.com