Re: Questions for users, about vfs support

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:46:55 -0400

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:28:31 +0200
mattenklicker@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It would be a great pleasure, if e2 would have vfs functionality.
>
> I think an fuse interface is the easiest and best way for implementing
> it. I have fusesmb in daily use, testet some time ago fuseftp
Fuseftp is perl, is it slow? I guess the transfer time would dominate, anyway.

 and there
> is an unpackfs: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems
> The interface can't be very complex, and with this modular system
> everyone can decide which vfs functionality he wants.
Hmm, I just tried unpackfs. Nice idea, but implementation is bad. Quite like
e2's unpack plugin except it covers a lot more archive types. Setting up to
open an archive is very clumsy, if the archive is a decent size it freezes the
UI, and no repacking (so no point in making changes, if that's possible). Might
be worth hacking on this fs, but low down on the priority list ...

Now that I look (fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems), there's a
bunch of interesting-looking fuse-based things, if only they work. Better yet,
there's nothing much to do to e2 to make the interface work.