Re: Questions for users, about vfs support

  • From: dsyates <dsyates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:54:44 -0400

tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all

I'm seeking feedback about the merits of adding vfs capabilities to emelFM2.
Again, for those not too familiar with the jargon, this means the ability to
display the contents of virtual (as opposed to local, mounted) directories in
e2's file-lists. And it generally covers 2 categories - inside file archives,
and non-local directories accessed by ftp etc.

Tooar's original roadmap for e2 did include vfs capabilities. Some
(www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml) would say that all file managers like e2
should handle vfs.

But if this is to be added to e2, it's not without cost: some disruption to the UI, fatter code, slower operation (probably not noticeable for "normal" operations though), dependency on some other library(ies) which support the protocols for interacting with a vfs. Not to forget - time and effort and bugs, before it all works properly.

My questions for you are:

1. How strongly do you feel about adding this capability to e2 ? Other
application(s) can be used for the same functionality, and custom applications
typically have more features.

2. How acceptable is it to create a dependency on gnome-vfs ? It seems that the
vfs-mechanism being developed within the freedesktop.org community works on top of
gnome-vfs (at least). Gnome vfs is being actively developed, its API is well
documented (unlike some other candidates), recent versions (IIRC >= 2.15.4)
have reduced further dependencies e.g. bonobo is gone.

3. Linux and one? of the BSD's (etc??) support fuse. Does anyone have any
experience using fuse for archive and/or remote directory processing? Is it
worth looking into ?

4. How unpleasant is it to use the current unpack plugin ? That roughly substitutes for
archive-vfs, the difference being that the archive is actually unpacked and repacked,
which is slower, and not necessarily possible for all archive-types, but does allow
comprehensive "manipulation" of archive contents.

I am happy with the current unpack plugin. Being able to more easily access non local directoies would be a worth while addition though. At the same time, I am quite pleased with the current feature set. I don't want to see emelfm2 get too fat.

--
David S. Yates
webpage: http://lottalinuxlinks.com