Re: Pre-release for testing - UPDATE

  • From: Alexander Orlov <alxorlov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:59:57 +0400

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:03:13 +1000
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > > > > 4) Tree view has many bugs.
>
> Fixed now.
Now, as I can see, everything goes OK in tree-view. Thanks.

> > Now I have found another couple of bugs.
> > plugin:unpack action is not working now.
> > When I try to unpack package with it, emel2 takes me into
> > /tmp/1000-emelfm2-unpack.tmp dir, but the dir remains empty. No error or
> > warning messages are printed. Just nothing happens.
>
> Fixed now. Also, cleans up if the unpack command fails.
Yes, now it works.

> > Trying to print file hangs emel2.
> > I have no printers. CUPS server is installed, but not running now.
> > So, when I view file, and try to print it, view-dialog just turns blank,
> > and hangs forever.
> > When I start CUPS server then printing goes OK.
> > Another one problem. I am using evince for view pdf's, but it has no
> > --preview option. So when I try to preview document it just print error
> > message and shows nothing.
>
> In concept, gtk printing works quite simply. The print dialog (with its
> preview button) and previewing and actual printing are all pretty-much done
> outside of the application. The application just passes the text to print to
> gtk. Essentially a single function-call. Printing works asynchronously, so
> should not freeze anything unless the function never returns.
>
> So all that e2 could do is to pre-check for absence of "real" print
> functionality and/or preview capability, and if test(s) not satisfied, don't
> add the print item to the context menu.
>
> So, anyone got any ideas on how to universally detect in advance whether
> printing works?
As I can see, even if there is no real printers, GTK proposes to print to file.
So I think it is a GTK problem. It tryes to connect to printing server, but
fails, and thus locks emelfm2.
Sorry, I don't know much of the GLIB/GTK functions, thus can not help you.

> I can find what evince version is needed to allow previewing, and check for
> that. BTW, evince has lots of dependencies outside of gtk, many of them
> gnome-specific, its usage in a gtk-context is therefore bad, IMHO. Does
> anyone know whether evince is the only app for print previewing ?
Well, I haven't found another good application for viewing pdf, postscript, and
dvi files, so I agreed to all GNOME dependencies. Recently I have found
epdfview program, which is based on evince, but requires no GNOME. I am going
to try it.
There are also old X applications, like xpdf, xdvi, and similar, but I do not
like them.

> (BTW, I can't test printing, my printing is defunct since a MOBO upgrade.)

> On an older matter, management of multi-action plugins in config dialogs is
> now reasonably robust.
Yes, now it is working pretty good.

--
Alexander Orlov