Pre-release for tesing (WAS Re: Pre-release tesing, anyone ?)

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:43:56 +1000

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:57:39 -0400
Charles A Edwards <eslrahc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 23:46:20 +1000
> tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I'd quite like to get a few other people to look at an
> > up-to-the-minute emelFM2, in anticipation of the next official
> > release.
> >
> > Since the website is still down, I'll need to find a place to park an
> > archive, or else one could be mailed direct, if your service can cope
> > with large attachment (now ~850 kB, courtesy of an extra plugin or
> > two).
>
> You can send it to me and I will post it to my site.
>
> www.eslrahc.com
Thanks Charles. I'll send you the file, off-list.

For those of you who are able to do so, grab the file from www.eslrahc.com.

The archive (bz2) has a YYMMDD number in its name. The archive expands to
emelfm2-0.3.4, so watch out for conflict with any existing code for the last
official release.

As noted in a previous message, the main thing to watch out for in this version
is the recursive file operations (copy, delete, rename, chmod etc etc). Changes
have been made to increase their reliability in the event of a problem, so you
should see no change in most cases, and sometimes, better behaviour. In
anything this extensive, there may be some regressions too.

The archive is essentially a rollup of my local codebase, so it has a few
things that aren't in svn. That's no issue for you as a user, though.

There's code for an encrypt/decrypt plugin. See the file USAGE for a few tips
on using the plugin. I've given it a reasonably-extensive workout, but IMO it
should still be treated with some caution! The plugin allows (and defaults to)
retaining the original file after encrypting, and I recommend that for now at
least, you do that.

PLEASE NOTE about the crypt plugin: I'm still thinking about changing the API,
in particular to allow use of external compression libraries instead of the
embedded mini-LZO code. If that change is made, any file encrypted with this
plugin would need to be decrypted with this same version.

There's code for a ACL-manager plugin, which has never been tested in practice,
as I don't seem to be able to get ACL's to work here. That plugin is an
optional build, anyhow. See Makefile.config for the relevant 'make' parameter,
if you want to play with this plugin.

HAPPY TESTING

> BTW, is current svn supposed to be buildable?
For a while, I deferred a bunch of commits. As of earlier today, it should be
ok again.