Re: Pre-release available

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:16:04 +1000

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:00:01 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:14 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What was the focused widget ? If it was a filelist, was there a 2nd action
> > for the first selected item ?
> >
> I selected and focused a .pdf file (in the file list), and I have 7
> actions for these guys; I get the same error message for
> file.open_with3 through 6.

Oversight related to gtk 2.16 workarounds, now fixed.

> > <Ctrl>2 is hardcoded to toggle focus between active filelist and dirline
> > for pane 2. Here, a binding of <Ctrl>2 to something else is ignored. I've
> > been tinkering with callback connection, and mine may behave differently
> > from yours, now.
> >
> Hardcoded? I remember well to have changed it in `Keybindings
> settings' in the previous version; before installing the pre-release,
> the key binding worked fine in executing file.open_with2.

Aah, I forgot, there's very little hardcoding any more, <Ctrl>2 is just a
default binding for the main-window.

> >> A request:
> >> - create file.open_with7 through 9. Personally for given filetypes
> >> (.pdf) I have 7 programmes assigned.
> > Maybe just a bit over the top ? Who (apart from you) can remember even 6
> > assigned keybindings ?
> >
> I don't see a reason to (artificially) limit these to a random number
> (6); this reminds me of X.Org's limitation to 4 keyboard layouts.
> People may well use all 9 (or even 10) digits on their keyboard to
> assign applications for files, or various tiny scripts such as
> convertors to other formats; it simply might happen that someone's 2nd
> favourite action is the last one, ctrl+9, assigned so to easily
> remember its trigger.

The reason is: every action has overheads, and I'm loathe to heft things up
where the benefits of extra actions are not worth the costs. So how far do we
go, just to avoid opening the context menu? 2 actions as originally requested
(IIRC)? 6? 10? There's nothing magic about the digits, so 20?