New pre-release available

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:39:34 -0400

Another emelFM2 pre-release is available from http://emelfm2.net/OtherDownLoads.

Changes are listed at http://emelfm2.net/ChangeLog. In summary, some small
changes, UI-related or intended to facilitate fuse usage (i.e. on Linux or
FreeBSD). And some bugs fixed.

This might have been an official release, but I hope to encourage a few serious
fuse-users to evaluate it, before publishing to the wider world. I've noted
(from very limited testing) that some fuse-daemons can behave in a
not-so-friendly and compatible manner. Maybe some more tweaks to e2 would be
helpful.

I saw a recent evaluation of gnome-vfs problems, and how its dev's are about to
embark on a major change of approach (moving things from gnome into and around
glib, that's good). And here I was, thinking that some freedesktop-centred team
was well into all that. Together with your responses to my recent enquiries
about vfs support, that evaluation convinced me that the time is not yet right
to implement vfs-type functionality in e2, or at least, not more than fuse
allows. I did do some work on adapting the current UI to incorporate additional
information for non-local items, but will mothball that for now.