Internal variables (WAS: Re: Using emelfm2 - questions, thanks.)

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:03:46 +1000

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:03:44 +1000
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Your question about variables becoming external is moving towards the
> > lines of setenv.
> > My environment uses env variables in places for tools and processes. So
> > now I have
> > to leave FM2 and set the environment (using xterm) and then open FM2 again.
>
> My previous post was not entirely clear. The added 'set'-related commands
> set/clear variables in the shell in which e2 is running (it can be run as a
> daemon, not sure if that affects things).
>
> The question then becomes: should e2 still support internal variables (for
> reasons other than backward-compatibility, anyway).

I think I'll keep the internal variables independent, and cache them between
sessions. Also, fix processing $VAR at start of entered command. Together with
cacheing, this provides another approach to simple macros (which unlike shell
scripts, may include e2 action(s)).

It will always be possible to run a command like 'set VAR $VAR' to transfer
internal to environment.