Re: History not working

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:01:47 +1100

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:25:51 +0100
Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The other go-forward/backward histories will probably be used more now, and
> > those pop up automatically when your pointer hovers over the relevant
> > button.
>
> It is more logical that these work like this, but I find myself
> annoyed still, since it is so much slower to wait for the popup than
> it is to click the button on the dropdown. Do you think a feature
> worth thinking about would be to make the back/forward buttons have a
> layout close to that of firefox, where there's a dropdown menu common
> to both back and forward, so I have something to click on to instantly
> make the history appear?

The pre-0.7 process to (immediately) show a forward or back menu (i.e.
<Ctrl>click on the relevant button) is still available. Of course you may have
to do it twice if you can't correctly choose between forward or back.

It would be easy to create a combined menu, but I'm reluctant to use up screen
space with a button or something to attach such a menu to. And otherwise, where
to show the menu ?

 The combobox dropdown is pretty useless for
> me personally, since whatever directory I want to go to is rarely if
> ever present there.

I'm finding that I need to work a bit smarter, and log the directories that I
think I'll need again.

In svn now, and in the next release, it's always a conscious decision to log a
directory, and never just a by-product of a cd. <Enter> press in a dirline
doesn't always log the directory. That happens only when the path in the
dirline is already displayed in the pane. A sort-of double-<Enter>, I guess.
Double-click always works.

I probably should add an action to 'un-log' a directory (without clearing the
dirline too), ATM all we can do is clear it completely (<Alt><Del>).