Re: GTK bugs

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:17:59 +0100

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:59:43 +1100
> De: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> À: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sujet: Re: GTK bugs

> I've noticed:
>  -vertical scrollbar sometimes doesn't show in a filelist
>  -dividers between filelists, and between filelists and output, will
> not move either by drag or by toolbar-button action -'alternate'
> image for toggle-buttons does not display (though the action - except
> if it's to move a divider - does work)

I'm please to see that you are experiencing same issues that I do.

> For me, they started to happen at the time of a wide-ranging upgrade,
> and I've been trying to evaluate whether the problem really is due to
> e2, gtk, glibc, gcc etc etc. It's tough when the problem occurs
> sporadically.
>
> Sofar, no definitive conclusion. There's nothing obvious inside e2,
> nor could I see anything obvious inside gtk (both 2.12.0 and 2.12.1
> have been used here, with these same symptoms). My current focus is
> on gcc. I've seen a few recent posts about its buggy optimisation -
> not only in the current 4.2.2.
>
> Any of you that can provide further clues, please do. One thing would
> be to try compiling without optimisation (i.e. -O0 in Makefile.config
> or in your CFLAGS). It would be good even to find a test-case that
> will always fail, so we can do some exploration.

I'll do that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel enabling DEBUG in
Makefile.config won't help much, because the DEBUG flag essentially
outputs e2 behavior - which is imho OK, see below - and not GTK issues.

I tried e2 (svn build 685) with my previous system (which was
Fedora 7 not upgraded), and I'm positive these glitches didn't exist
before. So I'll try to see options in GTK or gcc.

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>